Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the radeon driver support DVD upscaling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the radeon driver support DVD upscaling?

I have a HD4650 connected to a 1920x1200 display, and I hear that the HD4xxx series can upscale ordinary DVDs to (WARNING: marketing-speak!) "near HD quality". Does the radeon driver support this functionality, please? And if not, are there any plans to? I can't see how the "digital media mafia" would object as vehemently to upscaling standard DVDs as they would to (say) watching Blu-Ray in an open-source driver.

The radeon driver will currently upscale from native DVD resolution (720x480 I guess) to whatever window or screen size you choose. I believe this is comparable to a typical upscaling DVD player but not 100% sure (specifically I don't remember if bicubic filtering is used for upscaling on 6xx/7xx yet, or just bilinear).

What it won't do is combine the content of multiple frames to synthesize a higher effective resolution, which is (IIRC) what the latest Toshiba upscaling DVD player offers.
    Last edited by bridgman; 01 December 2009, 11:55 AM. Reason: clarified that I was talking about the radeon driver
    Test signature

Comment

Using xv for dvd on linux is really no fun with fglrx - same applies for radeonhd. Thats accellerated but has got tearing. You can use opengl output when you activate forced vsync with amdcccle. This is not the "optimized" upscaling, that could be done using video filters with your favorite video player - but that's done in software then. I personally do not need extra sharpness in dvds which was not there by default, then i perfer to watch a bluray instead but if you like to use filters nobody will hold you back.

Comment

My main concern is the hardware upscaler

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        What it won't do is combine the content of multiple frames to synthesize a higher effective resolution, which is (IIRC) what the latest Toshiba upscaling DVD player offers.
        As long as the hardware upscaler is doing the same thing in both Windows and Linux for standard DVDs then that's OK by me .

Comment

Working...
        X