No announcement yet.

AMD R600/700 DRM Interrupts Support Pushed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the conclusion from that discussion was that the game was using the wrong parameters (some kind of clamp mode ?), and that it was not a driver bug. Do you remember where the thread was ?

EDIT - found it : http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...t=17689&page=4
    Last edited by bridgman; 30 November 2009, 06:34 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I thought the conclusion from that discussion was that the game was using the wrong parameters (some kind of clamp mode ?), and that it was not a driver bug. Do you remember where the thread was ?

EDIT - found it : http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...t=17689&page=4
      Yea you are right, I actually forgot the conclusion of that thread.... who knows if it will ever be fixed in official ubuntu rep..

Comment

This interrupts support also requires two new firmware files to be loaded by the open-source driver.
        Can anyone please explain this to me?

The firmware is intended to be a patch to the kernel or is it a required bios update for tha graphic card? I really don't understand that sentence.
        Thanks

Comment

None of the above, actually

ATI graphics chips use writable microcode stores for the hardware state machines (rather than permanently burning the microcode into the chip) so microcode images need to be loaded by the driver at startup. Two microcode images are already being loaded for 6xx/7xx, one for the "cp" block and another for the "pfp" block.

Supporting interrupts requires that a third microcoded block ("rlc") be enabled, which requires both driver code and an additional microcode image. There are two new files -- one for 6xx hardware and one for 7xx -- and the driver loads whichever one is appropriate for the hardware it finds.

These files aren't really "firmware" in the traditional sense, but there's a lack of agreement on what exactly they *should* be called
          Last edited by bridgman; 30 November 2009, 06:47 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Oh, I see
            Thank you John.
            Very interesting

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              These files aren't really "firmware" in the traditional sense, but there's a lack of agreement on what exactly they *should* be called
              They could be called ABCDEFG for "ATi Block Code Domain Execution Function Groups"

Comment

@Louise
                YMMD

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                  They could be called ABCDEFG for "ATi Block Code Domain Execution Function Groups"
                  Helper Images

Comment

"Magic Smoke"

Comment

Are these drivers in a state yet where an HD4870 would run as cool as with fglrx?

Comment

Working...
                      X