No announcement yet.

KMS + Radeon quick mini guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any other error messages in the same area ? That sounds like your build failed for the 3D driver...
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Are there any other error messages in the same area ? That sounds like your build failed for the 3D driver...
      No, I verified the r600_dri.so file make'd installed fine. I even ran make clean and rebuilt mesa.

Comment

Have you confirmed that you are getting hardware acceleration with direct rendering ? Remember that the "direct rendering: yes" message doesn't mean hardware acceleration these days, you can have direct-rendered software paths as well.

What does glxinfo | grep renderer give you ?
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Have you confirmed that you are getting hardware acceleration with direct rendering ? Remember that the "direct rendering: yes" message doesn't mean hardware acceleration these days, you can have direct-rendered software paths as well.
          John, I don't really understand your question. I was not claiming to get direct rendering with the latest libdrm/xf86-ati/mesa/ (It worked yesterday, but not today, and that's okay; I expect frequent breakage at the moment). I also realize that I'm using a weird combination of packages on that partition.

At the moment, the Xorg log is failing at the AIGLX stuff
          Code:
          (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
          (EE) AIGLX error: Calling driver entry point failed
          (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

Comment

Understood. You hadn't said anything about direct rendering, but these days every time I ask someone if they have hardware acceleration they reply "yes I have direct rendering" so I figured I would try to save one back-and-forth transaction and respond first

There was an ABI change on Sunday night / Monday morning which required a libdrm_radeon update as well - AFAIK nothing is broken right now but pulling and building while the transition was happening could cause problems. Suggest you pull and build again. I believe the ABI change was between libdrm_radeon and mesa/ddx, no change to drm (kernel) itself.
            Test signature

Comment

EDIT: Nvm. I had Ubuntu's version of libdrm_radeon interfering with the build. Thanks for the help.
              Last edited by DanL; 23 December 2009, 05:14 AM.

Comment

the link you gave for R700_rlc.bin is broken

Comment

fixed, a line break was inserted

Comment

Originally posted by forum1793 View Post
                    This is what my kernel config looks like for that area and it worked for me with hd3200 (780g) (I think R600 but not sure).
                    Code:
                    #
                    # Generic Driver Options
                    #
                    CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH="/sbin/hotplug"
                    # CONFIG_DEVTMPFS is not set
                    # CONFIG_STANDALONE is not set
                    # CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD is not set
                    CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
                    CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
                    CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE=""
                    I didn't need to move any firmware as it was created by kernel. But situation might be different for your hardware. I don't know.
                    Edit: this was for 32-rc8. Haven't tried yet with the 32 release.
                    Edit2: I also didn't do initrd
                    Well, to get audio working I went with 2.6.33-rc2 kernel and tried to use exact same config but updated (make oldconfig). This compiled but died looking for firmware and locked up after 60 sec. I then copied firmware to /lib/firmware/radeon. Same probelm. So I then recompiled kernel and only change was making agpgart, drm, and radeon into modules as opposed to in kernel. I didn't have to blacklist anything and kms worked.

I didn't see anything for audio in Xorg.0.log but guess what, audio over HDMI works now, using the radeon driver as opposed to radeonhd. So, good job devs.

Comment

Originally posted by forum1793 View Post
                      Well, to get audio working I went with 2.6.33-rc2 kernel and tried to use exact same config but updated (make oldconfig). This compiled but died looking for firmware and locked up after 60 sec. I then copied firmware to /lib/firmware/radeon. Same probelm. So I then recompiled kernel and only change was making agpgart, drm, and radeon into modules as opposed to in kernel. I didn't have to blacklist anything and kms worked.

I didn't see anything for audio in Xorg.0.log but guess what, audio over HDMI works now, using the radeon driver as opposed to radeonhd. So, good job devs.
                      When you recompiled these as modules, you caused them to load later in the boot process, when the root filesystem (which contains both the modules and the firmware) is available.

There are two ways you could have got it working in the kernel statically:
                      1. By using an initrd and copying the firmware files into it. I don't like initrds.
                      2. Put the firmware files into <kernel-src>/firmware/radeon subdir, then build kernel with
                      CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/R600_rlc.bin radeon/R700_rlc.bin"
                      CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="firmware"

I prefer to have no initrd and few modules because then with 'fastboot', stuff can load more in parallel, for a faster boot.
                      Also I don't like the additional dependency on /boot/initrd-foo. If it goes away, I may have to reach for the rescue CD...

HTH.

Comment

Working...
                      X