Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working DisplayPort Arrives For Radeon KMS

Phoronix: Working DisplayPort Arrives For Radeon KMS

David Airlie has announced on his blog that he and Alex Deucher have finally got support for DisplayPort-driven graphics cards and monitors working with the open-source ATI Linux driver stack. Not only is there user-space mode-setting support via the xf86-video-ati DDX driver, but the kernel mode-setting for this latest monitor interface is working too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ah, the beast has been tamed. Well done, both of you!

Comment

Cool!

Will this also work with Evergreen, or does it use DisplayPort differently than R600/R700 ?

Comment

I thought only

had support for DP?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
          Will this also work with Evergreen, or does it use DisplayPort differently than R600/R700 ?
          last news was that even DVI doesn't work on Evergreen yet. Modesetting changed quite a bit due to eyefinity.

Implementing DP on r600 is a prerequisite to implementing DP on evergreen, though.

see here.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
            last news was that even DVI doesn't work on Evergreen yet. Modesetting changed quite a bit due to eyefinity.

Implementing DP on r600 is a prerequisite to implementing DP on evergreen, though.

see here.
            I see. Thanks for clearing that out

Comment

What proportion of users actually use DP? Reason I ask is that I've never actually seen any kind of display device that actually uses this kind of connector (although I do have one board that has a DP output... which has never been used).

Just curious, not implying anything.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                What proportion of users actually use DP? Reason I ask is that I've never actually seen any kind of display device that actually uses this kind of connector (although I do have one board that has a DP output... which has never been used).

Just curious, not implying anything.
                Its a relatively new standard and I would assume it will get quite a bit of support over time since unlike DVI/HDMI, it is royalty free.

It also has other benefits such as greater bandwidth, but these may not be of too much use on consumer laptops/desktops with average sized monitors.

Comment

It's just starting to become important; took longer than expected for DP displays to hit the market in volume.
                  Test signature

Comment

Working...
                  X