No announcement yet.

The Cost Of ATI Kernel Mode-Setting On Fedora 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bridgman: what usually happens with the kernel is the team tries to do roll-up releases every few weeks, so that we don't get a flood of kernel releases with small fixes, and each big release has a bit of time to get some vague testing done on it. The other components are a little less scheduled, but Dave will push an update when he thinks he's got everything that should go into it done right, I think.

Comment

That sounds like a good approach; pushing development code out to everyone too quickly can be a really Bad Thing.
      Test signature

Comment

Kernel updates can be problematic, usually KMS is not that important, but there are really differences if a wlan driver works or not with a specific kernel version. For some specific hardware it could be needed even to downgrade to .28. The problem with fedora is, that the environment is relatively uptodate - and especially fglrx will not run. So you are forced to use oss drivers if you want em or not. I don't get why fglrx devs are so overworked that they could not add support for new xservers in time, nv devs manage that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          I don't get why fglrx devs are so overworked that they could not add support for new xservers in time, nv devs manage that too.
          Maybe there are more of them and have bigger salaries than fglrx devs, so they are more motivated to add support for new xservers in time...

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
            dodoent: glxgears is not a benchmark, it's not even anywhere close. It would be a much better idea to test with something more resembling real world use than three extremely simple non-lit, non-textured, rotating shapes. Phoronix's own benchmarks are probably the best thing for 3D testing on Linux, actually. Try those.

hobbes: on a quick search I can't find a report of that problem in Fedora or freedesktop.org Bugzilla, or Launchpad. You might want to file a report at fd.o or Launchpad, I guess. Have you verified that it works OK if you disable KMS (nomodeset)?
            Yes, it does work with nomodeset. Sorry for the delay to answer.

This issue is still present today.

Binary package hint: compiz $ uname -a Linux ubuntu 2.6.32-7-generic #10-Ubuntu SMP Sun Dec 6 13:54:12 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux $ lsb_release -a No LSB modules are available. Distributor ID: Ubuntu Description: Ubuntu lucid (development branch) Release: 10.04 Codename: lucid compiz: Instalado: 1:0.8.4-0ubuntu9 Candidato: 1:0.8.4-0ubuntu9 Tabela de versão: *** 1:0.8.4-0ubuntu9 0 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/main Packages 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status On Ubuntu Lu...
            Last edited by hobbes; 14 December 2009, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X