pure awsomeness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pure awsomeness

ok guys, after tried to kill myself several times trying to get some work using fglrx, well """basic""" work, a stable compiz would be enough lol, i decided to tried again OSS drivers with mesa 7.8 glsl 1.10 + 2.6.32 kernel.

in resume i never ever expected this trully amount of pure awesomeness here, lol 6 months ago all 2d ops was fine enough for r700 but no 3d, etc. but today god, this is impressive, i dont recall compiz running so perfectly smooth and stable, xv never was so tear/artifacts/whatever free, 2d accel is just wow, exa/dri is very far from my original expectation, you know is just instant, wine dont crash, wine games actually work (very slow for now but hey maybe some software fallbacks here and there. nothing to worrie), in fact savages2 only complain about gl 2.1 but it accepts almost everything else.

to anybody there filled in the darkness of pain and suffering from fglrx, yes you who are actually thinking, "why i had to choose AMD?? why??", in those painful nigths you think over and over again in selling you gfx to get some happiness in your live again, stop rigth there and try the OSS driver, trust me is impressive, finally the ligth of hope is here, and hell it shines like we never expected it to.

in resume if you still dont get it

2d: blazing fast, like anything else i tried so far (well this pc is a monster ofc but is like 300000% faster than fglrx) and 0 yes 0 artifact or anything else

exa/dri: i cant say anything else beside instant!!!
    Xv: this one give tear free a whole new definition, even in composited enviroments, lol even without the new stuff in 2.6.33

compiz/kwin composite: i cannot describe it, have you ever seen a perfect compiz rendered desktop ever?? stable?? well here is even better

wine: no crashes, no weird sigsesv, 3d actually works lol slow for now cuz well still some extesion goto software fallback(i think), at least for lineage2 and lfd

native games: i only tried savages2 and its almost there, lol i even think that if dev cheat it making gl 2.1 string info instead of 2.0 the game will work

stability: 100% yes 0 crashes, hangup between terminals, corruption, memory leak or starvation, 0 apps crashing randomly

3d generally: not sure but blender run perfectly fine (basic test from a non 3d pro artist ofc), mplayer and mplayer-mt render to opengl without any issue or any slowdowns same VLC and Xine.

to the OSS drivers devs, thx a loot i love you, lol gl 2.1 and im going to run naked in the street screaming from the happinness.

if there is any tool i can download to do traces or any useful debug to help you. just post it here

my gfx 4850x2

UPDATE: minor issues i found so far
    My OS is Kubuntu 9.10 + kernel 2.6.32-rc8 + xorg-crackers PPA + mesa 7.8 from git

compiz: when you activate decoration blur plugin, it hangs. more explicetily the mouse become from slow to very slow to system hangup. my shoot here is a loop consuming all memory in my card ofc this is based of endless loops in my cpu knowledge, beside the fact i have no way to see the usage of anything of my gpu so like i said wildshooting here.

OpenGL in composited enviroments: well if i use composite and open for example tuxracer or any video using gl ouput, i get a very weird effect, it looks like every gl app is trying to create their own unshared buffer and figthing each other each time the monitor refresh the back buffer to decide wich buffer stays in front + if you move the windows from it original position the image become corrupt, just like the shader or render buffer lost the w-h dimension of the original window. so far with disabled compiz or kwin effects opengl works pretty good

Wine: at 2d core lvl it works perfectly fine (unlike fglrx that break 2d wine apps too, but hey that is the past now), in fact i noticed a considerable speedup especially in weird shaped software like dreamweaver cs4. in 3d without composite

Lineage2 gracia final: works aka the game renders fine, colors are nice, effects are fine, hdr seems to work nice but at like 3 fps. my wildshoot here is some gl 2.1 extension going directly to swrast due to the lack of acceleration (just reporting, for me 2d actually working like a charm is peachy, but hey i wont get any mad if i can play my favorite mmorpg in a near future )

left 4 dead: pretty much the same and my wildshoot is pretty the same here too

Native games: those i tested so far

tuxracer: actually runs like a monster 150fps almost all the time in 1440x900 and 8xx AA, the only issue i have here is some weird colors in the game, like the blues going to sepia tones. my wildshot here is maybe some shader issues passing the rgb info to the buffer

savages2: well the test info seems to run fine but it autoclose when read opengl 2.0 instead of 2.1, so if anyone can tell me how to make mesa to inform gl 2.1 instead of 2.0, i can test much further (btw this game have very cools graphics if someone wanna try it )

soon trying unigine tropic and sactuary: but i think ill need to hack mesa to inform gl 2.1
    Last edited by jrch2k8; 24 November 2009, 12:06 PM.

Wow. Reports like this make me think I need to try harder getting my 4600 working with the OSS drivers.

What distro?

Comment

Yeah, radeon is really starting to shape up. I prefer radeonhd, but tear free Xv is too hard to pass up, just like power management options.
      Last edited by Melcar; 24 November 2009, 04:23 AM.

Comment

What distro?
        Fedora 12 is easy. Ubuntu 9.10 is also fairly easy if you can get a 2.6.32 kernel running: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...e/v2.6.32-rc8/ . Then, just add the xorg-edgers PPA and update.

Comment

I'm sorely tempted, but...

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          Fedora 12 is easy. Ubuntu 9.10 is also fairly easy if you can get a 2.6.32 kernel running: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...e/v2.6.32-rc8/ . Then, just add the xorg-edgers PPA and update.
          Has anyone tried running World of Warcraft recently? It's not working for me with F12 userspace, a stock 2.6.31.6 kernel and my Radeon 9550. (Close, but no cigar. It crashes almost as soon as I enter Azeroth but is perfect right up to that point.) My other available GPUs are M66 (FireGL 5250) and rv730 - I need at least one GPU that can justify my subscription.
          Last edited by chrisr; 24 November 2009, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
            Has anyone tried running World of Warcraft recently? It's not working for me with F12 userspace, a stock 2.6.31.6 kernel and my Radeon 9550. (Close, but no cigar. It crashes almost as soon as I enter Azeroth but is perfect right up to that point.) My other available GPUs are M66 (FireGL 5250) and rv730 - I need at least one GPU that can justify my subscription.
            I think I remember seeing in the last wine release notes post (last few days on phoronix) a blurb about a patch that fixes a major issue in World of Warcraft... maybe that might help you (and me).

Comment

Has anyone tried running World of Warcraft recently?
              If you has an free server with 3.2.2 i can test it. sorry my wow acocunt is offline since 2 weeks.

NODE: Currently im try to setup an server for testing.
              Last edited by Nille; 24 November 2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                left 4 dead: pretty much the same and my wildshoot is pretty the same here too
                L4D works already?

Comment

my advise to you is: open wow from a terminal, log and stuff and then go to azaroth. after that copy the wine ouput to this forum and the wine forums, i think thats the easier way to see what going wrong

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                    L4D works already?
                    renders fine but very slow aka is unplayable cuz still many stuff go to software render aka no gpu accelareted like it should be. but it show very promising for the near future when at least gl 2.1 get fully implemented . my wild guest here is maybe partially playable in mesa 7.9 and kernel 2.6.34 (i suspect commit frame for 2.6.33 won't be long enough to get all that stuff at once included)

Comment

Working...
                    X