No announcement yet.

A New Patch For Radeon DRM Power Savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to your interest R600 is built in TSMC 80-HS process node, which is a very very leaky one. The R600's ASIC behaves differently than maybe most of other GPUs on the market:

It is voltage and (as a result) frequency alone that decides the heat output and merely has nothing to do with actual work load. As a result, R600 GPU itself can clock up really high, someone broke the 1GHz barrier using R600. But the only thing limiting it's performance is the enormous amount of heat generated, which, if not dealt properly, might melt the core down

To experience this is easy, get a 2900XT, in some Windows overclock tool, (ATITOOL), ramp up the frequency and watch the fan blower take off. Then force it to run at 2D frequency (so low voltage) and run some full screen games, the fan never goes up!

Some rumour says that R600 leaks 30 Amps(!) power even in idle, which is simply fascinating of how they could bring something like this to the market....

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
      In case of my HD 34x0 engine downclocking gave quite nice result already. I did not see much difference when downclocking memory. Not sure what voltage changing will bring. Maybe not much difference to temperature, but some to battery life time?

I really hope to get engine downclocking commited for 2.6.33-rc1. Hopefully Alex will release IRQs before that, so I will able to enable memory downclocking as well for 33-rc1.
      One thing that I would really love to see would be exporting the current (and even the default/reference too) clock frequencies to a sysfs attribute to easily see what the GPU clocks are currently at (and even the voltages) and would also fit really well for hooking into the phoronix-test-suite to have the ability to monitor and chart the frequencies as test(s) are being run... That could even help you guys too with ensuring the dynamic clocking is aggressive but not too aggressive, etc.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        One thing that I would really love to see would be exporting the current (and even the default/reference too) clock frequencies to a sysfs attribute to easily see what the GPU clocks are currently at (and even the voltages) and would also fit really well for hooking into the phoronix-test-suite to have the ability to monitor and chart the frequencies as test(s) are being run... That could even help you guys too with ensuring the dynamic clocking is aggressive but not too aggressive, etc.

I second this. As an overclocker, I can't stand not being able to at least look at the frequencies for my chips. It just kills me. Temperature readings would be nice as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
          Some rumour says that R600 leaks 30 Amps(!) power even in idle, which is simply fascinating of how they could bring something like this to the market....
          Remember that modern GPUs run on extremely low voltages, so a 30A idle current corresponds to maybe 40W. It sounds like a lot more though, doesn't it ?
          Test signature

Comment

That's already done.

Code:
            mount -t debugfs debugfs /debugfs
            cat /debugfs/dri/0/radeon_pm_info
            You may want to modify mount point, I was told I should not mount debugfs in root.

Comment

Hello,

Could anybody tell me how I could test this patch (and KMS) without having to get the source code / recompile the whole kernel tree? I suppose I will have to recompile the DDX and libdrm.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 with Linux 2.6.31.

Thanks.

Comment

That's already done.

Code:
                mount -t debugfs debugfs /debugfs
                cat /debugfs/dri/0/radeon_pm_info
                You may want to modify mount point, I was told I should not mount debugfs in root.
                Why not make it with sysfs though so its there by default?
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Why not make it with sysfs though so its there by default?
                  I believe we will want to change that file's format in future. Don't know if this is a good idea to export by default sth that will change later. We could get complains on breaking compatibility with some tools I guess.

Comment

I believe we will want to change that file's format in future. Don't know if this is a good idea to export by default sth that will change later. We could get complains on breaking compatibility with some tools I guess.
                    Hmm, what more is there to decide other than a good name for a single-value file?
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                      Your rumor monger is clearly on crack.
                      It is simply *IMPOSSIBLE* for it to leak 30 Amps, let alone USE it.

The wall plug you plug your computer into is on a 15 amp breaker or fuse (most likely -- north america standard). That covers the ENTIRE computer, i.e. monitor, hard disks, CPU, PRINTER, and whatever other junk you happen to plug in to that circuit.

So assuming that your POWER SUPPLY didn't catch on fire first, the circuit would DEFINITELY break if it drew 30 amps.

Comment

Working...
                      X