Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    Your rumor monger is clearly on crack.
    It is simply *IMPOSSIBLE* for it to leak 30 Amps, let alone USE it.

The wall plug you plug your computer into is on a 15 amp breaker or fuse (most likely -- north america standard). That covers the ENTIRE computer, i.e. monitor, hard disks, CPU, PRINTER, and whatever other junk you happen to plug in to that circuit.

So assuming that your POWER SUPPLY didn't catch on fire first, the circuit would DEFINITELY break if it drew 30 amps.
    You have no electrical knowledge, I can tell, and you have no clue what are you talking about. Better read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm%27s_law , and come again then.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Your rumor monger is clearly on crack.
      It is simply *IMPOSSIBLE* for it to leak 30 Amps, let alone USE it.

The wall plug you plug your computer into is on a 15 amp breaker or fuse (most likely -- north america standard). That covers the ENTIRE computer, i.e. monitor, hard disks, CPU, PRINTER, and whatever other junk you happen to plug in to that circuit.

So assuming that your POWER SUPPLY didn't catch on fire first, the circuit would DEFINITELY break if it drew 30 amps.
      I also don't believe that figure of 30A.

If you search around on the web for the power draw of a 2900xt, you will find out that it leaks about 30W more on idle than 1950xtx.
      Assuming a core voltage of about 1.2V it probably leaks 25A MORE than 1950xtx, so it probably leaks more like 40A to 60A.

It's a real power hog.

Comment

LOL to droidhacker:

15 Amp breaker is for 220V or 110V, so it's about 220x15=3300 Watt, or 110x15=1650 Watt

As for R600, 30 Amp @ 1.15v = 34.5 Watt. As you could see 34.5 Watt << 3300 Watt. Your assumption doesn't hold.

===================

If you have done any research agains 2900XT's power supply circuit, you will find out that it has 6 phase of power IC capable of outputting 40 Amps each phase just for the vGPU. That's bloody 240 Amps max in total! If the GPUs isn't such a power hog why would they waste expensive circuitry on it.

Comment

Just wanted to express my gratefulness to AMD and the devs woorking on these drivers to make my experience better. Oh god, does it sound like some marketing blah? I hope not.
          Powersaving is one of these things I marked as important (besides many others) in the Phoronix graphics survery. But atm it is one of my main concerns since I use only R600 based ones and the powersave/cooldown stuff isn't really complete here.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Yeah, I'll join in. This is great news, and I'm looking forward to the day when load-based power-saving is in the kernel.

Comment

Thanks for all the hard work. One less obstacle to going OSS for me. I have a fanless card and was afraid of possible overheating without powersave.

Comment

Working...
              X