AMD Catalyst 9.11 For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baskin View Post
    I agree, but should an AMD developer explain to me why 9.10 works with opensuse 11.2 and HD4670 and 9.11 does not?

I believe that they should be more careful when releasing drivers and say that 9.11 has initial support for opensuse 11.2.
    Just for the record, 9.11 works on my openSUSE 11.2 system
    Using a different graphics card though, 3850 here.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
      Just for the record, 9.11 works on my openSUSE 11.2 system
      Using a different graphics card though, 3850 here.
      It is also working for me on an opensuse 11.1 with HD3200.

The problem is that i'm experiencing the same exact behavior on two systems with opensuse 11.2 and HD4670 and i think it is not a coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
        The previous release's 2D support on my HD 4650 was so bad that a 80x24 gnome-terminal window couldn't even scroll without tearing, and "focus-follows-mouse" between 2 such gnome-terminals was taking over a second to take effect.

I could almost hear my ancient Matrox G400 screaming with derisory laughter behind me... Will 9.11 bring more of the same?
        just unbreak your xorg-server with the backclear patch. 2d will be very pleasant afterwards.

Comment

whop and I have uploaded it to Debian.

Comment

I have just upgrade to 9.11 driver.

But how long do I need to wait for a tear-free video play with xv output?

Comment

Till you buy a nvidia card or use the oss driver. xv is not for workstation users, didn't you know that? That's stupid as tools like LinDVD only work with xv, but ATI has it's own logic.

Comment

Originally posted by cheung View Post
                I have just upgrade to 9.11 driver.

But how long do I need to wait for a tear-free video play with xv output?
                I can't get Xv to work at all on my 5850, so consider yourself lucky...

xvinfo shows "ATI Radeon AVIVO Video" with 4 ports, and gstreamer-properties can do the Xv test playback *once*, but if I try to watch a video in totem, MPlayer or VLC with xv, the video is all black, and then when I try the test playback in gstreamer-settings after this, it's black too.

Comment

Originally posted by chaos386 View Post
                  I can't get Xv to work at all on my 5850, so consider yourself lucky...

xvinfo shows "ATI Radeon AVIVO Video" with 4 ports, and gstreamer-properties can do the Xv test playback *once*, but if I try to watch a video in totem, MPlayer or VLC with xv, the video is all black, and then when I try the test playback in gstreamer-settings after this, it's black too.
                  You mean like this?
                  Code:
                  X-Video Extension version 2.2
                  screen #0
                    Adaptor #0: "ATI Radeon AVIVO Video"
                      number of ports: 4
                      port base: 131
                      operations supported: PutImage 
                      supported visuals:
                        depth 24, visualID 0x23
                        depth 24, visualID 0x24
                        depth 24, visualID 0x25
                  <snip>
                  [EDIT]oops forgot to use code tags instead of quote...[/EDIT]

I'll try playing a video using Xv, not sure what I've got it set to ATM but it's working fine although I don't watch very many videos.

4850 Mobility Radeon (512MB)

9.11 installed fine for me, Ubuntu 9.10 x86-64 although I've not really tested anything yet and will likely not bother trying compiz/beryl again as I find it to be more annoying than not, or at least with the last few releases...

[EDIT]
                  Hmmm... just went and checked mplayer, and it was already set to use Xv and has been working fine for me. Even "fullscreen" seemed to work ok, but I'll try some of the other options too I guess...

minor update, mplayer is being a little flakey, so apparently I need to ensure that there are not a few things left over from 9.04, plus I was also using the medibuntu packages...
                  [/EDIT]
                  Last edited by cutterjohn; 20 November 2009, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
                    You mean like this?
                    Yup, exactly like that. Here's a pastebin of the whole output for anyone curious. I'm running Catalyst 9.11 on 32-bit Ubuntu 9.10, but I had the same problem with the 9.10 beta included with Ubuntu and the drivers for use with the Stream SDK 2.0 beta4.

Comment

Just to add in something semi-trivial, that appearance of black rectangle corruption seems to be gone now, and now that I think of it may have been an X.org bug(or some layer thereof) exposed as IIRC it disappeared when I switched to Ubuntu 9.10.

I went back and checked over my installation, and it's "clean" barring what I installed locally, so that mplayer flakiness must be OOB, but it only seems to occur when I'm interacting with the UI, e.g. mucking around in the prefs while playing videos it doesn't crash, or at least it hasn't on me but I don't watch many or long videos, or I skip through them. (Mainly looking to see some particular effect or other, or a piece of info from something that's only in video.)

[EDIT]
                      I'd been earlier using the official catalyst 9.10 release rather than the earlier drop provided for Ubuntu since I was upgrading from a previously installed system... plus last I messed with Ubuntu's fscked way of installing proprietary drivers it was a nightmare to get rid of them, or at least much more work than it should've been...

catalyst 9.10 also played video back fine for me, and must've been already set to Xv for mplayer, which is what I prefer to use.

[EDIT2] better put in catalyst before 9.10 so as not to accidentally confuse it with Ubuntu 9.10 ... [/EDIT2]
                      [/EDIT]
                      Last edited by cutterjohn; 20 November 2009, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X