Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 9.11 For Linux Released

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 9.11 For Linux Released

AMD has today pushed out their Catalyst 9.11 Linux driver. This release contains support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and initial support for OpenSuSE 11.2 along with a handful of minor bug-fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Call me troll but unless OSS driver provides support for new ATI cards, I'm holding on buying any of them. The fglrx is just such a deep sh*t that hurt me too much for my forgiveness, be it the latest version, still crap, period.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
      Call me troll but...
      Troll...
      Last edited by bridgman; 18 November 2009, 01:30 AM.
      Test signature

Comment

Yay! I'll take what I can get. Here's hoping to no regressions.

Hey blur works in Compiz now! I'm satisfied.
        Last edited by rotarychainsaw; 18 November 2009, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Anyone happen to know if this driver works with the latest xorg-server releases? (1.7.1 in my case).

Comment

I'll just wait until ubuntu 10.04 comes out; seems that less can go wrong. I'll gauge how good it is by measuring the amount of people who rage and grief in this thread

Comment

Originally posted by rotarychainsaw View Post
              Yay! I'll take what I can get. Here's hoping to no regressions.
              You also work for AMD/ATI?

Comment

Is 2D support improved for R700 cards yet?

The previous release's 2D support on my HD 4650 was so bad that a 80x24 gnome-terminal window couldn't even scroll without tearing, and "focus-follows-mouse" between 2 such gnome-terminals was taking over a second to take effect.

I could almost hear my ancient Matrox G400 screaming with derisory laughter behind me... Will 9.11 bring more of the same?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                  The previous release's 2D support on my HD 4650 was so bad that a 80x24 gnome-terminal window couldn't even scroll without tearing, and "focus-follows-mouse" between 2 such gnome-terminals was taking over a second to take effect.

I could almost hear my ancient Matrox G400 screaming with derisory laughter behind me... Will 9.11 bring more of the same?
                  You'll feel like you upgraded to a G400MAX... those 32MB of ram will send you screaming for joy!

OSS drivers on 2.6.31 aren't bad at all. Even have some openGL working! (on HD4850)

Comment

Not enough OpenGL, unfortunately.

Originally posted by lordmozilla View Post
                    OSS drivers on 2.6.31 aren't bad at all. Even have some openGL working! (on HD4850)
                    The machine needs to be able to run WoW; otherwise I'd have set fglrx on fire and thrown it out the window long ago.

And the G400 is a G400 MAX, unfortunately. By the sound of things, it's probably working on a new "victory dance" right now...

Comment

Working...
                    X