AMD Catalyst 9.11 For Linux Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
    Firegl: my understanding is that the hardware is identical to consumer GPU hw excepting that firegl tends to have MUCH more VRAM, has better warranty/support(apparently you get to talk to driver devs and request specific fixes), but also costs MUCH more because of that.
    The driver optimizations are also quite different, at least on Windows. Not sure for Linux but will try to find out.

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
    wine: nVidia/ATI is representational already. ATI has what? Something like 20% of the GPU market and nVidia 70 some%?
    Last numbers I saw were 52.7% for Intel, 24.9% for NVidia and 19.8% for ATI/AMD.

http://jonpeddie.com/press-releases/...ddie-research/
    Last edited by bridgman; 11-24-2009, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      The driver optimizations are also quite different, at least on Windows. Not sure for Linux but will try to find out.

Last numbers I saw were 52.7% for Intel, 24.9% for NVidia and 19.8% for ATI/AMD.

http://jonpeddie.com/press-releases/...ddie-research/
      Those are "this quarter" numbers which implies to me current sales which are meaningless since the vast majority of users don't upgrade GPUs every 3m, as much as nVidia, AMD, etc. would like them too. (Apple I'm looking into your cynical eyes w/o user-replaceable notebook batteries and aging GPUs...) Every 3y or so would be a more likely number, and the numbers that I referred to were based upon Steam's periodic surveys which have remained fairly constant over the years.

Comment

Not sure I understand the connection between Steam numbers and market share. Steam surveys reach a specific subset of users and pretty much exclude the vendor with the largest market share (Intel). If you look at "Steam vs GPU sales" over the years you'll find they tend to be out of phase - some years one vendor is winning at gaming and the other is winning at everything else, then a couple of years later the positions reverse.

If you're really looking for installed base market share you need to do a weighted accumulation of market share numbers (using something like JP reports) for at least 5 years across desktop and mobile -- and that's going to come out more or less even between the three top vendors.

The marketing folks know these numbers a lot better than I do -- but I can say that Steam and total GPU sales numbers don't track very well, nor are they supposed to.
        Last edited by bridgman; 11-27-2009, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Wired problem

I have a wired problem with this driver (9.11). I have a HD5770 card and it's works fine with 2.6.30 kernel. But when I updated to 2.6.31 the X start hangs with a black screen, and I cannot even switch to a terminal, I have to reset (SysRq) the system. The X.Org or kernel log doesn't show any error. The kernel config is basicly the same, I disabled some deprecated USB thing and added a lm_sensor, but thats all the changes between the two configs.

This is from the end of the Xorg.log file. There is nothing more after this.

(II) fglrx(0): [drm] DRM interface version 1.0
          (II) fglrx(0): [drm] created "fglrx" driver at busid "PCI:1:0:0"
          (II) fglrx(0): [drm] added 8192 byte SAREA at 0x2000
          (II) fglrx(0): [drm] mapped SAREA 0x2000 to 0x7f69089bc000
          (II) fglrx(0): [drm] framebuffer handle = 0x3000
          (II) fglrx(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
          (II) fglrx(0): DRIScreenInit done
          (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module Version Information:
          (II) fglrx(0): Name: fglrx
          (II) fglrx(0): Version: 8.67.4
          (II) fglrx(0): Date: Nov 4 2009
          (II) fglrx(0): Desc: ATI FireGL DRM kernel module
          (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module version matches driver.
          (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module Build Time Information:
          (II) fglrx(0): Build-Kernel UTS_RELEASE: 2.6.31-gentoo-r6
          (II) fglrx(0): Build-Kernel MODVERSIONS: no
          (II) fglrx(0): Build-Kernel __SMP__: yes
          (II) fglrx(0): Build-Kernel PAGE_SIZE: 0x1000
          (II) fglrx(0): [drm] register handle = 0x00004000
          (II) fglrx(0): DRI initialization successfull!
          (II) fglrx(0): FBADPhys: 0xf01040000 FBMappedSize: 0x01008000
          (II) fglrx(0): FBMM initialized for area (0,0)-(1728,2432)
          (II) fglrx(0): FBMM auto alloc for area (0,0)-(1728,1050) (front color buffer - assumption)
          (II) fglrx(0): Largest offscreen area available: 1728 x 1382

Is there some bugzilla, where I can report this officially?

Comment

9-11 is one of those monthly releases that basically nobody needs. If they would have got reused the 9-10 release with updated controls file it would have been better.

Comment

After of a couple of reboots, and a reemerge of the ati-drivers, now it's working on 2.6.31, but causes the same black screen/hang on the older 2.6.30 kernel. I don't know what solved the problem, because I did not change any configuration et all, and the emerge was successful the first time. My guess that a successful shutdown on 2.6.31 regenerated some modules database or something for 2.6.31, and now the userland is working fine with that kernel version.

I wanted to upgrade the kernel, so the errors with the older kernel is not a big problem now.

Comment

There is a trivial fix for .32 kernel if you want to update.

#include <linux/signal.h>

is needed in kcl_io.c. (Fix already in Debian fglrx package and in my script.)

Comment

Working...
                X