No announcement yet.

Getting 9.3 Legacy to work on newest release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's what still crap about ati drivers in linux; you either stick witht nicely that old card that's got a driver that's nicely built, seldom breaks but supports few features, or you can buy a new card and get a horribly broken, 'full feature' support driver ...

there is no in between.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      thats true,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but why sould amd pay Dev's for "not work at their new products" ?
      cause they might lose customers that way.

ppl using linux sometimes tend to have older setups, but still they need hardware, dont they, so if they cut support, or dont support certain graphic solutions at all, and a customer has one, he might simply buy nvidia next time.

but i ve heard things are getting better. with supporting new hardware since its release date, and the work thats been done on the open source driver. still you need to be very patient, which isnt one of my strongest treats.

cause i have a problem:
      maybe im the only one, but im trying to get the only game i am playing running - for a whole year almost. yes, try, since amd put my r300 on legacy support.
      so im hoping with every open source driver release, to fix the bug.
      i get 3-4k fps on glxgears, nice video (although streaming isnt really well implemented, since it doesnt buffer too well - but thats not the graphics drivers side)
      but 1-2fps on the game, which worked fine with fglrx.
      so somethings still amiss, i somehow guess its the supported resolutions and colour settings, the list is pretty short!(--> glxinfo)
      at least its the only thing i can see which is different on a setup im using temporarily with intel i915 chip, where it works fine!

"progress"... every thing is about progress these days. but where to?
      sure its a battle for customers, and thereare some that need high end solutions for video-editing, or blasting the opponents brains out in games, or for gpr processing.ok. thats fair.
      but as a customer i think one can say that having payed money one expects some service. and its ok to drop support for old hardware. AT A CERTAIN STATE! its like going to the train station and getting told the train you want to get wont come within the next half a year or maybe up to 2 years. dont tell me you wont get pissed off.
      so, simply its a case of calculating how many customers you can piss off. cause i doubt the drivers for r300 arent working on windoze vista or vista 2.0 (aka win7). its nothing wrong about it. its simply the way it is i guess. money rules
      Last edited by jakubo; 08 December 2009, 06:08 AM.

Comment

do not Blame the opensource driver only because you do not wana spend 20€ for an supportet cart!
        So you suggest that people who bought an expensive r500 GPU, such as an x1950, now go out and buy a cheaper, slower, but newer card in order to get support for features that they used to have in fglrx? Simply because you don't want AMD to spend more resources on r300-r500 cards?

Adam
        Last edited by adamk; 08 December 2009, 06:13 AM.

Comment

bridgman, how about giving us a quick summary of the state of GLSL on r3xx-r5xx and r6xx-r7xx hardware with the open source drivers?

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by pedepy View Post
            that's what still crap about ati drivers in linux; you either stick witht nicely that old card that's got a driver that's nicely built, seldom breaks but supports few features, or you can buy a new card and get a horribly broken, 'full feature' support driver ...

there is no in between.
            Why are some people content with 'The Community' doing the support? They don't have the money behind them. They go at their own pace. They have no one to answer to. When you are an owner of one of those cards, they are not worried about you changing cards or selling your hardware.

It seems the support is poor anyway and the support for the proprietary driver is always extremely poor. The money is with Winodws. Thus, that is where the support is. I still read tons of posts from various places/forums based on problems with newer Radeon HD cards and I'm not just talking about the Evergreen cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
              Why are some people content with 'The Community' doing the support? They don't have the money behind them. They go at their own pace. They have no one to answer to. When you are an owner of one of those cards, they are not worried about you changing cards or selling your hardware.

It seems the support is poor anyway and the support for the proprietary driver is always extremely poor. The money is with Winodws. Thus, that is where the support is. I still read tons of posts from various places/forums based on problems with newer Radeon HD cards and I'm not just talking about the Evergreen cards.
              I'd just like to mention one thing :

The linux community moves at an amazing pace. The users are usually also upgrade freaks that upgrade their whole OS every ~6 months. They buy less hardware than windows users, change it less often and there are less of them. They somehow think that they are going to get the same support as windows users!

I'd like to see you complain to ATI because you bought an X1100 Gfx card (with a laptop) a few years ago and it doesn't play HD movies because you upgraded to windows 7.5. They'll laugh at you.

I'm not saying it's good or they should. But they are a bussiness you need to drop kick some products out of support every now and then.

Really what are you doing playing HD media on a laptop like that anyways? Buy an acer revo and be done with it. Those things are cheap as chips and consume less power than my light bulbs.

Comment

This is a load of crap. I bought this laptop ~3 years ago mainly for the X1600 ati mobility radeon card (which at that time was quite nice).

Now I'm stuck without GL2.0+ 3D support (and flaky GL1.5- support) because AMD decided to drop the ball on newer kernel+xorg releases.

I'm not asking for latest fglrx to work, just for the lagacy 8.3 to be updated to work with latest xorg and kernels (and no it's not THAT difficult).

That'd give us the 3D and if I want nice movie watching I can swap back to OSS driver (until they make that one work on GL2.0+ with some proper speeds)

AMD simply dropped the ball on this.

Comment

I also got the laptop problem. Got an X1600 in my laptop, everything works fine. Using catalyst 9.3 with kernel 2.6.26. That works fine. But I would like to upgrade my kernel, but due to the catalyst 9.3, no chance. I use my notebook for playing. Already tried the OSS driver, but fglrx works better for 1st person shooters.
                  Last edited by ruwen; 12 January 2010, 09:22 AM.

Comment

the windows R300 driver is death like a fish witout water..
                    only bugfixes no more features comes to the old windows R300/R500 driver...

on the opensource side they backport openGL3.2 Features to R300/R500 just Impressiv!
                    for old hardware the linux driver is getting better and better.

opengl2 will work on the r300-r500 be sure!

i have a X800 for testing on ubuntu lucid 10.04 if you name me your game i can test this for you on mesa 7.7 and xorg-edgerx 7.8…..

extra service for you ;-)

I know this wasn't for me, but once HoN is running smoothly on an X1600 Mobility level card with at least medium settings then we can conclude the OSS drivers mature.

Also Doom 3 needs to be able to run medium as well (with 25+ FPS average).

Obviously wine support would be great (shaders and gl2.1 stuff at least)

NOTE: I'm more than willing to do testing and proper bugreps once the GLSL/GL2.0 gap is jumped, including my own stuff (simpler than D3 etc. and I can single-select issues if things fail too much). Am willing to go to latest and greatest alpha distros for it too (say latest ubuntu or arch etc.)

Comment

ok i du to the lastest xorg-edgers

"OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
                      OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (R420 4A49) 20090101 TCL DRI2
                      OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.8-devel"

openGL2.0 isn'1 ready yet...
                      You have to run the r300g mesa-driver to get OpenGL >=2.0.
                      Then it does report OpenGL version 2.1, but I've not yet got HoN to run with it. I'm currently compiling everything from git again, maybe it's made some progress by now.

Comment

Working...
                      X