Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    @bridgman

A win user does not know that the oss drivers have got NOT the same features as fglrx yet. Maybe in a year or so...
    Your point being?

Comment

ATI xpress 200m

A quick howto for opensuse 11.2

11.2 Howto for ATI Xpress 200m cards
      This is a beta howto everything works but we still have issues in several areas. We need further feed back from other owners of the xpress 200m.

Quote:
      Quick install tipsfor those having issues
      1. Make sure grub is installing to either MBR or a partion of your choosing.

2. If the install fails go back and on the screen that asks if its a fresh install, upgrade, etc: Un-check automated configuration option
      This should get you through a installation on a xpress 200m
      After the fresh install has finished you should get a black screen of death on any system running a Xpress 200m, but if you don't get one it is time to take a victory lap as you are one of the few the lucky and I hate you. It's not personal you under stand.

At start once you reach grube erase the kernel boot options and put this very advanced start option in.
      Code:

Hit enter and wait until it asks you for your login name. Enter your login and password then enter super user mode.
      Code:

su

You will be asked for the root password. Enter it then enter kdm assuming of course that your now in root/super user mode. Now the kdm should come up login normally and everything should work just fine. (wireless, sound, etc. This isn't the case if you just type startx after login in as just a user)

Once you have entered kde do a few tests to see that everything is working. (Sound, wireless, etc)

Quote:
      Xorg preparatory steps:
      1. Enter a super user file manager window (you can find them under system in the start menu)
      2. Go to /etc/X11 and remove all xorg.conf, xorg.conf.install and back them up in your home folder. I would also tar.gz them and rename the compressed file to hide them from the system.
      3. Open a terminal and Enter su mode once there enter
      Code:

init 3

Once you have entered init 3 it is time to run sax2

Code:

Sax2 -r -m 0=ati

I had to reinstall the kdm to get a good boot up. I also have to remove the kernel boot options before starting.

If this doesn't work the first time do it again this time from startup don't enter init 5 just login and enter su and run sax2 with the same options.
      Once this is done you will have a brad new xorg.conf file. Repeat the init 3 and kdm steps to login again. You will get one normal startup after every time you do the init 3 and kdm startup don't ask me why. Would love to know myself, my more advanced linux friends think kdm has a permission issue.
      Steve Barrell Reports that he updated his xorg files from the repo's and has completed 9 startups with no further kdm issues.

I haven't been able to repeat this fix so I would ask that those brave enough try it and let us know if it works.

Quote:
      So far, so good. I have just rebooted 9 times and without an xorg.conf in
      place.

http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_11.2 has
      certainly come to my aid and hopefully you and others too !

Add this repo and in yast gui mode, click the "Repositories" tab, then
      select the new repo by name (I called mine simply "X11 - Xorg"). Just above
      the package list pane, click "Switch system packages to the versions in this
      repository (repo name)" and note that all the xorg-x11-* packages will be
      selected for installation. While the versions of the packages are lower than
      the released versions, perhaps this was intentional, Proceed to install the
      selected packages. I suggest you also rename out of the way or delete
      /etc/X11/xorg.conf . When the package installations have completed, reboot.
      If you get the same result as I did, you should have a working X session and
      be able to login as normal.
      Disclaimer:
      Remember Safe mode has been working for most users because it uses the Vesa Driver, this how to is to test the and use the radeon driver hence the instructions above.

Comment

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20432 << apparently the newest kernel and latest xorg/dri/drivers in xorg-edgers ppa are providing a most solid driver even for a 4650 .

Comment

@bridgman

A win user does not know that the oss drivers have got NOT the same features as fglrx yet. Maybe in a year or so...
          He also doesn't know that OpenOffice.org is not MS Office, and that newest Photoshop will not work in Linux. So what's the point here ? I think a win user would not know a lot of other things too. Catalyst for Linux (fglrx) also does not have the same features as Catalyst for Windows has.

BTW as far as fglrx vs oss drivers go I'm already more happy with oss drivers then with the fglrx. Composite desktop, Xv works a lot better then the last fglrx release I used.

Comment

You can be 100% sure that bridgman is NOT using Linux the whole day!

Comment

You can be 100% sure that bridgman is NOT using Linux the whole day!
              Most of us aren't. So, what was your point again?

Comment

I would if could find a modem driver or external modem that worked reliably on my crappy rural phone line. So far only the combination of Windows driver + winmodem is able to work reliably, despite spending a lot of time with the >20 year old "AT-" command reference and a variety of external modems.

I had some success using ICS and having my Linux home system connect to the internet via the Vista box, but ICS and VPN don't get along together and turning ICS on and off every half hour (including reboots) gets old quickly.

So, yeah, if you see me on a forum or IRC outside of work hours I'm probably running Windows. The good news is that I have finally figured out *where* I want to cut down trees (I'm glad I waited, because it's on the other side of the house from what I was planning before) so once the 200-odd trees are down and the satellite link is up I should be able to use any OS I choose at home.
                Last edited by bridgman; 27 November 2009, 03:26 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

OpenSuse can use the card? How does that work? I thought the older versions of Xorg weren't compatible with the newest kernel, so if you're downgrading Xorg so that you can use proprietary drivers, wouldn't you also have to downgrade the kernel?

I know that Ubuntu 9.10 is heavily dependent upon the newest Xorg and Kernel (AFAIK), so downgrading completely breaks everything, but is that not the case for the newest OpenSuse?

I just installed ubuntu 9.04 to try the whole downgrading trick, but it's a little more complicated with the 64-bit (the dependencies are troublesome, forcing the 8.10 version on a single package caused EVERY single package in my list to be removed- lol).

@bridgman

Meaning that, eventually, full support for the card will be included in the open source drivers? Is there just nobody working on it because the cards capped at 9.3 are sucky and unimportant?

I would think that, at the very least, the open-source community could implement an override for cards that aren't supported very well on the open-source driver to use the fglrx. Though, I'm not sure how that would function given the lack of backward compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by spinsane View Post
                    Meaning that, eventually, full support for the card will be included in the open source drivers? Is there just nobody working on it because the cards capped at 9.3 are sucky and unimportant?
                    Not sure where you got the idea that nobody is working on the older cards (unless you mean *really* old cards, like mach64 and r128). You'll read about progress in different areas at different times... don't assume that nothing is happening on the other generations just because you read something about a newer family this week.

Commit log for classic mesa 3xx-5xx : http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...ivers/dri/r300

Commit log for Gallium3D 3xx-5xx : http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...m/drivers/r300

If you read through last night's #radeon log (around 2AM) you can see some of the latest "what just started working" on the 3xx-5xx Gallium3D driver.

Also, have you been following all the work on Kernel Modesetting, GEM/TTM and DRI2 for 3xx-5xx ?
                    Last edited by bridgman; 29 November 2009, 09:31 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      Your point being?
                      Really? I'm going to buy you a $200 pen and put the cheapest ink I can home brew into it. I'll be sure that the ink also is rough and doesn't work on any paper except laminated.

The quality of the ink is irrelevant because it fits your ideals and works on your laminated paper. That proprietary ink is pointless, it can only do everything ordinary ink is expected to do at the cost of some legal flexibility.

Put your wide beams on and don't be so narrow.
                      Last edited by damentz; 03 December 2009, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X