ATI R300 Gallium3D DRI Support Is "Done"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zhark View Post
    In Windows I have used http://www.techpowerup.com/rbe/, you need gpu-z for reading bios and winflash (or other) to flash modified bios to card. Read documentation. At your own risk.
    With atiwinflash i have killed 2 times my bios :/ but with atiflash ( the DOS/FreeDOS tool ) it work like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by piete View Post
      Hi BlackStar! That's exactly what I want to do with my X1600 Mobility! What tools did you use? All the tools I have found say that they can't edit my card's bios.

I'm fully aware of agd5f's concerns but I'm willing to take the risk, after all, my card has 3 official power states and all I want is to have PS1 as default (instead of PS2).
      Just a word of warning, modifying the bios of a mobile card is more risky than what I did. If something goes wrong, you'll have to restore the bios blind (so make sure you make a thorough list of steps and keyboard commands that restore the original bios *before* you try anything risky).

What I did was create a freedos bootdisk (I used an old 128MB usb stick I had lying around). On the stick, I loaded a dos program that can backup/flash the bios of your graphics card (unfortunately, I don't recall the name - but it's pretty well known).

Once I had the usb stick working, I booted from it and backed up my bios.

I then booted to windows (used a VM running in VirtualBox, actually) and used RBE (Radeon Bios Editor) to modify my bios settings. What I did was lower the clocks of the idle power state - you may have to modify the clocks for the second power state instead.

Finally, I saved my modified bios to the usb stick, booted from it and flashed my card.

My advice is to take your time and make sure you know the capabilities of your card before flashing them permanently. Test thoroughly first (if necessary, install windows and use an over-/underclocking tool like ati tray tools to discover the limits of your card). M oreover, don't use the absolute limits for your card but rather try to leave some headroom (I clocked my HD4850 100MHz higher than the absolute lowest core clock, for example).

That's it more or less. Disclaimer: there is a very real chance that this process will brick your computer, without any way to recover. If you cannot afford to buy a new laptop, don't do this. That's all

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        Just a word of warning, modifying the bios of a mobile card is more risky than what I did. If something goes wrong, you'll have to restore the bios blind (so make sure you make a thorough list of steps and keyboard commands that restore the original bios *before* you try anything risky).

What I did was create a freedos bootdisk (I used an old 128MB usb stick I had lying around). On the stick, I loaded a dos program that can backup/flash the bios of your graphics card (unfortunately, I don't recall the name - but it's pretty well known).

Once I had the usb stick working, I booted from it and backed up my bios.

I then booted to windows (used a VM running in VirtualBox, actually) and used RBE (Radeon Bios Editor) to modify my bios settings. What I did was lower the clocks of the idle power state - you may have to modify the clocks for the second power state instead.

Finally, I saved my modified bios to the usb stick, booted from it and flashed my card.

My advice is to take your time and make sure you know the capabilities of your card before flashing them permanently. Test thoroughly first (if necessary, install windows and use an over-/underclocking tool like ati tray tools to discover the limits of your card). M oreover, don't use the absolute limits for your card but rather try to leave some headroom (I clocked my HD4850 100MHz higher than the absolute lowest core clock, for example).

That's it more or less. Disclaimer: there is a very real chance that this process will brick your computer, without any way to recover. If you cannot afford to buy a new laptop, don't do this. That's all
        Bumping a bit old thread but I was travelling and hope that the knowledgeable people have subscribed the thread...

1. RBE cannot read Mobility X1600's bios (it says this particular card's bios reading is not supported)

2. I'm stuck before I find another utility that can since although I have two laptops I'm not that crazy that I would edit the bios blindly

3. I'd like to know if there is someone who has already done this with the exact same card (since already X1950Pro seems to be a different story...)

4. I do have a multiboot with Windows XP (which is still my main OS but I'm moving on to Debian Lenny whose fglrx has a working power management for my card, I just need to get some studying stuff done before having more time to install the programs I need) so I could use all tools regardless the OS they work with

5. I can't be the only X1600 owner wanting to do this!

Comment

Working...
        X