X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gd_19
    replied
    Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    I send t a fix to the mailing list last night and attached it to the bug. Should fix it.
    yeap it's fixed... thanks a ton!!

3d seems a little snappier than no KMS and dri1, albeit one can find a few transparency artifacts on the plasma desktop...

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    I send t a fix to the mailing list last night and attached it to the bug. Should fix it.

Leave a comment:

• gd_19
    replied
    Update: It seems X works when KMS is NOT enabled after all... As I said, with radeon.modeset=0 running X in a shell results in a black screen (with no cursor and the backlight going eventually off) but when I start the xdm init script (configured to start kdm) it works fine when KMS is disabled.

Everything seems to work fine including kwin's effects.

I'm starting to believe that what I'm experiencing might be similar to this bug, but unfortunately I don't have the tools or knowledge to further investigate: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24218
    Last edited by gd_19; 05 November 2009, 04:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gd_19
    replied
    Here's a low quality picture taken from my phone:

http://imagebin.ca/view/vmV3nlD.html

Note that this screen is static, it doesn't change if I move the mouse and I can't switch to a console.

Do you think my linker options could be breaking something? I use -Wl, --as-needed

CFLAGS are sane though (-O2, pipe, -fomit-frame-pointer, -march=amdfam10h)

Leave a comment:

• gd_19
    replied
    Same thing with 2.6.32-rc6-git1 and 2.6.31.y with drm-next (as per the RadeonBuildHowto) (even after rebuilding world in gentoo - just in case :-D).

Kernel panic at boot with next-20091104 so couldnt test...
    Last edited by gd_19; 05 November 2009, 02:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Does it work without kms?

Edit: appears not.

Leave a comment:

• gd_19
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback

I have applied the patch but the problem remains... Moreover I tried disabling some of zen's more "exotic" features such as the SLQB allocator and the BFS scheduler to no avail... I'll try vanilla next time...

Anyway here's the logs:

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/m7ae7589
    Xorg: http://pastebin.com/m7b6b8f08

Note: When I boot the same kernel with modeset=0 (radeon drm is built in) and start X, I get a black screen with the monitor's backlight on which fades to off in a couple of seconds and I need to hard reset (the same as with modeset=1 without the corruption or the backlight going off)
    Last edited by gd_19; 04 November 2009, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Originally posted by gd_19 View Post
    However X freezes and only displays a corrupted ribbon pattern on the lower 1/3 of the screen... I've compiled most of the xorg-server paraphernalia (including xorg-server itself) from git (although i did try stable packages before that. I've only tested 1.7.1 and git for xorg-server though), and compiled libdrm mesa and xf86-video-ati in that order several times with --enable-radeon-experimental-api for libdrm and --enable-dri and --enable-kms for xf86-video-ati...
    pastebin your dmesg and xorg log. I recently posted a patch on dri-devel that may fix this issue. See comment 25 on this bug 24535:
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24535
    Also, you might try a non-zen kernel. I've heard of some people having issues with zen kernels.

Leave a comment:

• Fenix-TX
    replied
    I had the same problem with kubuntu karmic and xorg-edgers packages, but if i have to compile all i think that i'll wait until 785G (radeon 9200HD) will be supported.

Leave a comment:

• gd_19
    replied
    Solved... Now happily posting from within an fbcon enabled links2.2... :-D I also upgraded to 2.6.32-rc6-zen1

I had to configure drm AND the firmware as built-in... No other combination (either or both as modules) would work. Defaulting to KMS, passing the option to grub or loading the module later using modprobe would also always fail.

However X freezes and only displays a corrupted ribbon pattern on the lower 1/3 of the screen... I've compiled most of the xorg-server paraphernalia (including xorg-server itself) from git (although i did try stable packages before that. I've only tested 1.7.1 and git for xorg-server though), and compiled libdrm mesa and xf86-video-ati in that order several times with --enable-radeon-experimental-api for libdrm and --enable-dri and --enable-kms for xf86-video-ati...

KMS rocks tho... this is the fastest console i've ever had

Note: mesa fails unless I compile with MAKEOPTS="-j1" in
    Gentoo...

Any ideas?
    Last edited by gd_19; 04 November 2009, 06:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X