Radeon KMS with rs880 (785G IGP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon KMS with rs880 (785G IGP)

Hello. I was wondering whether it is possible to setup kms with rs880. I tried but it tries to load r770 firmware which produces as error (had to check the logs of course). Then i get a black screen. I use 2.6.32-rc5-zen2 "Perennial Quest" kernel sources...

Moreover supposing i could get it to work, would it be possible to use the hardware 3d accel branch of xf86-video-ati or are kms and 3d mutually exclusive on >=r600 hardware?

Are you sure it's loading 770 firmware and not 780 ? If so that should be an easy bug to fix. Can you pls post dmesg output or whatever you are using to determine the microcode being loaded ?

3D accel code is in mesa master, not xf86-video-ati, and it works with KMS today.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by gd_19 View Post
      Hello. I was wondering whether it is possible to setup kms with rs880. I tried but it tries to load r770 firmware which produces as error (had to check the logs of course). Then i get a black screen. I use 2.6.32-rc5-zen2 "Perennial Quest" kernel sources...
      It should be loading the rs780 firmware.

Moreover supposing i could get it to work, would it be possible to use the hardware 3d accel branch of xf86-video-ati or are kms and 3d mutually exclusive on >=r600 hardware?
      You can use 3D with or without KMS. Also, you need the r600 mesa 3D driver.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Are you sure it's loading 770 firmware and not 780 ? If so that should be an easy bug to fix. Can you pls post dmesg output or whatever you are using to determine the microcode being loaded ?

3D accel code is in mesa master, not xf86-video-ati, and it works with KMS today.
        Oops ur right. It's rs780 microcode that is loaded.
        This is the error i get... It appears before loading the firmware and after the initialising kernel modesetting msg:
        [drm:igp_read_bios_from_vram] *ERROR* bad rom signature

ill post a more complete log once i setup x11. I can't paste into links...

Comment

[drm:igp_read_bios_from_vram] *ERROR* bad rom signature
          That can be ignored.

Alex

Comment

Solved... Now happily posting from within an fbcon enabled links2.2... :-D I also upgraded to 2.6.32-rc6-zen1

I had to configure drm AND the firmware as built-in... No other combination (either or both as modules) would work. Defaulting to KMS, passing the option to grub or loading the module later using modprobe would also always fail.

However X freezes and only displays a corrupted ribbon pattern on the lower 1/3 of the screen... I've compiled most of the xorg-server paraphernalia (including xorg-server itself) from git (although i did try stable packages before that. I've only tested 1.7.1 and git for xorg-server though), and compiled libdrm mesa and xf86-video-ati in that order several times with --enable-radeon-experimental-api for libdrm and --enable-dri and --enable-kms for xf86-video-ati...

KMS rocks tho... this is the fastest console i've ever had

Note: mesa fails unless I compile with MAKEOPTS="-j1" in
            Gentoo...

Any ideas?
            Last edited by gd_19; 04 November 2009, 06:14 AM.

Comment

I had the same problem with kubuntu karmic and xorg-edgers packages, but if i have to compile all i think that i'll wait until 785G (radeon 9200HD) will be supported.

Comment

However X freezes and only displays a corrupted ribbon pattern on the lower 1/3 of the screen... I've compiled most of the xorg-server paraphernalia (including xorg-server itself) from git (although i did try stable packages before that. I've only tested 1.7.1 and git for xorg-server though), and compiled libdrm mesa and xf86-video-ati in that order several times with --enable-radeon-experimental-api for libdrm and --enable-dri and --enable-kms for xf86-video-ati...
                pastebin your dmesg and xorg log. I recently posted a patch on dri-devel that may fix this issue. See comment 25 on this bug 24535:

Also, you might try a non-zen kernel. I've heard of some people having issues with zen kernels.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback

I have applied the patch but the problem remains... Moreover I tried disabling some of zen's more "exotic" features such as the SLQB allocator and the BFS scheduler to no avail... I'll try vanilla next time...

Anyway here's the logs:

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/m7ae7589
                  Xorg: http://pastebin.com/m7b6b8f08

Note: When I boot the same kernel with modeset=0 (radeon drm is built in) and start X, I get a black screen with the monitor's backlight on which fades to off in a couple of seconds and I need to hard reset (the same as with modeset=1 without the corruption or the backlight going off)
                  Last edited by gd_19; 04 November 2009, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Does it work without kms?

Edit: appears not.

Comment

Working...
                    X