AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Why don't you use vdr/streamdev? I have got problems with a/v sync with das erste/zdf hd and mplayer. do you use vlc with xvideo/default output or glx?
    I just tried with vdr+streamdev and got similar results: vlc with xv shows fine but @ 30% - vlc with glx shows a yittery display with lot of artefacts

I'm starting to think you are right about an old libva version somewhere in my system path ... maybe it's best I set up a new test system then ;-)

Comment

• rm -rvf ~/dist ~/Desktop/vlc.desktop

before calling the vlc script as user is enough. 30% says nothing, basically you need to see if your cpu still runs in low speed mode or not. when it is still downclocked forget it.

Comment

rm -rvf ~/dist ~/Desktop/vlc.desktop
        before calling the vlc script as user is enough.
        that must be it - never did that on vlc-vaapi update

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        30% says nothing, basically you need to see if your cpu still runs in low speed mode or not. when it is still downclocked forget it.
        cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
        2700000 1900000 1500000 800000

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq

it still is on minimal voltage, so yeah it's fine, but I'll have to build vlc once more and get glx working

Comment

@Panix

Evergreen+XvBA does nothing usefull at all. Very unlikely that you can use it with a shortly released driver update. Some ppl always spread the hope for a fix for this or that issue in a future - if i NEED a feature it should work NOW not maybe next year.
          Kano. Panix has been pretending to be in the market for an ATI card for at least since January 2009. Trust me, the guy is not going to buy an ATI nor an NVidia card any time soon. His whole schtick is to play the "concerned" ATI customer.

Giving him advice on what video card to purchase is not only pointless, but you're actually helping him to derail threads. So please don't feed the troll.

Comment

• @Tuxoholic

You can even clean your user vlc settings - sometimes usefull when you changed too much

rm -rvf ~/.config/vlc

Comment

• Originally posted by monraaf View Post
              Kano. Panix has been pretending to be in the market for an ATI card for at least since January 2009. Trust me, the guy is not going to buy an ATI nor an NVidia card any time soon. His whole schtick is to play the "concerned" ATI customer.

Giving him advice on what video card to purchase is not only pointless, but you're actually helping him to derail threads. So please don't feed the troll.
              Looks like you derailed the thread, yourself.

I was asking if Nvidia's HA and when using xv is signficantly better than ATI's progressions with XvBA. I went on a bit of a tangent on other stuff so probably should have posted that in another thread.

Anyway, carry on. I'll just ignore your posts in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
                Looks like you derailed the thread, yourself.

I was asking if Nvidia's HA and when using xv is signficantly better than ATI's progressions with XvBA. I went on a bit of a tangent on other stuff so probably should have posted that in another thread.

Anyway, carry on. I'll just ignore your posts in the future.

Yes, and no. The only reason that Nvidia's Solution is currently better than ATI's solution is that ATI's solution is incomplete and has not been finished yet... It's still in a position where it can be considered pre-beta because the documentation and developer files for this have not even been officially released yet. Once ATI's solution is officially released, and has all of the features, we'll see a side by side benchmark comparison of the two.

Comment

• Two days ago, a new version of xvba-video was released. Has anyone tried this yet?

Comment

• Just tried it, not much different happening for me on my 5770....for some reason if I use smplayer and put in the vaapi:gl output for the video it sorta works...well it does except if I go fullscreen it gets very choppy (the video is slow, and then speeds up to catch up) not very viewable though....for whatever reason using vaapi:gl or vaapi any other way such as the command line, it doesn't work at all (split second of audio quickly cut off and an error is displayed)

Comment

• Originally posted by chronniff View Post
                      Just tried it, not much different happening for me on my 5770....for some reason if I use smplayer and put in the vaapi:gl output for the video it sorta works...well it does except if I go fullscreen it gets very choppy (the video is slow, and then speeds up to catch up) not very viewable though....for whatever reason using vaapi:gl or vaapi any other way such as the command line, it doesn't work at all (split second of audio quickly cut off and an error is displayed)
                      Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought XvBA did not function at all with the Evergreen series of GPUs. That reason is probably the source of your mplayer errors.

Comment

Working...
                      X