No announcement yet.

AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe you should try ck patched kernels (1000 Hz recommended).

Comment

• Originally posted by jbrandmeyer View Post
      The upgrade did address the color issue. I managed to address the shaking as well. I set the cpufreq kernel governor to performance instead of ondemand, and that addressed the problem.
      It also addresses the problem with overlays from other programs, so maybe the stuttering was related.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineGrace View Post
        I'm in the same boat!
        (su) vainfo - shows libva version 0.31.0-sds6, although Driver version shows: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA API - 0.6.11
        Perhaps since we are both using older chipsets, myself with an HD2600 and your with an HD3200, the latest mplayer-vaapi and the latest xvba-video, I can only conclude that libva defaults to an earlier version if it detects "older" hardware such as ours. Gwenole?
        0.31.0-sds6 is the API version
        libva 0.31.0-1+sds6 is the package version, this could be 0.31.0-1ubuntu6 or whatever, it doesn't matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by benoe View Post
          Yes this is also my experience. Your scripts are workig great, even mplayer-vaapi, but xbmc produces these shakes what jbrandmeyer just mentioned.
          xbmc devs reported that even Windows users have problems with ATI HW + DXVA. Funny thing is that this exhibits the same behaviour as with XvBA in Linux. Just don't use ATI. I myself don't for more than two months. I don't care, I got bored.

Comment

• Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
            Just don't use ATI. I myself don't for more than two months. I don't care, I got bored.
            Does this mean that you don't intend to update your Debian packages for libvaapi, mplayer-vaapi, etc any more?

Comment

• Originally posted by jbrandmeyer View Post
              Does this mean that you don't intend to update your Debian packages for libvaapi, mplayer-vaapi, etc any more?
              I did not imply this, they are still alive, at least on NVIDIA and Intel platforms. I don't see changes in XvBA going in the right direction to care more. As you probably noticed, there was no update to xvba-video for a long time because the driver still contains many bugs. I don't see what I can do more, it's a dead end. xvba-video is a pile of workarounds for driver bugs or mis-designs, thus they can break at any driver update. I won't care.

Besides I am working on other things. And since I want to be sure bugs in our applications are mine, and not the driver, then the only good thing to use is NVIDIA. ATI bugs are a pain to work with during development, they pollute real application bugs. Ever tried to valgrind an application? You are flooded with buffer overflows, memory leaks, etc.

Even talking of that makes me get in bad mood. Oh crap, I am still on vacation for two days. It was great and don't want to ruin those remaining days. So, I just won't talk about problems, thus keeping my mind sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                I did not imply this, they are still alive, at least on NVIDIA and Intel platforms. I don't see changes in XvBA going in the right direction to care more. As you probably noticed, there was no update to xvba-video for a long time because the driver still contains many bugs. I don't see what I can do more, it's a dead end. xvba-video is a pile of workarounds for driver bugs or mis-designs, thus they can break at any driver update. I won't care.

Besides I am working on other things. And since I want to be sure bugs in our applications are mine, and not the driver, then the only good thing to use is NVIDIA. ATI bugs are a pain to work with during development, they pollute real application bugs. Ever tried to valgrind an application? You are flooded with buffer overflows, memory leaks, etc.

Even talking of that makes me get in bad mood. Oh crap, I am still on vacation for two days. It was great and don't want to ruin those remaining days. So, I just won't talk about problems, thus keeping my mind sane.
                Sorry to bother you on vacation, sir!
                As a matter of fact, I'm on vacation as well. Enjoy your time away from work and thanks for helping us out!

Comment

• Sorry to but in the middle of this thread...I didn't want to open a new one.

What's the status of Xvba on HD5000 cards? I heard that it's not supported yet. Is that still the case?

Comment

• /Bump? Please?

Comment

• @Kano: latest vlc-vaapi-local.txt gives the following compile errors:
                      Code:
                      ../../../include/vlc_xlib.h:26: error: ?vlc_xlib_init? declared as an ?inline? variable
                      ../../../include/vlc_xlib.h:26: error: ?vlc_object_t? was not declared in this scope
                      ../../../include/vlc_xlib.h:26: error: ?obj? was not declared in this scope
                      ../../../include/vlc_xlib.h:27: error: expected ?,? or ?;? before ?{? token
                      /usr/include/c++/4.4/exception:35: error: expected declaration before end of line
                      RS880 GPU on a Karmic 32bit

Should I revert to an older vlc git?

Comment

Working...
                      X