No announcement yet.

AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the editing time is a joke on these board now, can we have a reasonable edit time reinstated by the opps to stop this having to repost twice, it doesnt even know my first post is mine so i cant delete it.

Comment

• Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
      XvBA does not support Radeon HD 5xxx. And last time I asked, it was not planned to be fixed. So, if some developer has some spare time and is really willing to dig into this code, this could be interesting for users. Thanks. ;-)
      "
      XvBA does not support Radeon HD 5xxx."
      thats a shame gbeauche, i was hoping your work would be a good thing for things like the Hard "birds" x264 sample AVC and werth my time spending on a set of new HD5750 for all my machines, good to know the HDx5 series is Not werth the money atthis time, thanks.

Comment

• try decoding this PlanetEarthBirds.mkv 2 minute clip

Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

if you happen to have a working gbeauche XvBA install and the right AMD/ATI HD card and report back would be a very good thing perhaps.

YES its hard to decode, thats the whole point as its an available BR disk encode.

Comment

• I just looked at the X.Org Wiki. The R700 cards show that 3D Mesa works but 'may have bugs.' So, even the X.Org group figure the support is not 100% functional when it comes to 3D. This seems to indicate that the support is not as good as Nvidias and that problems can be expected.

The FOSS driver support or current situation/status looks a bit better but of course limited. The Evergreen cards are, more or less, WIP with the fglrx driver and NO support at all for the FOSS driver. When did these cards come out? About a year ago? That's pretty bad, imho.

really nvidia is the 'worst'
          For what? OSS? Okay, we've established that already. But, the cards will work. Maybe Fermi won't yet but I suspect the wait for driver support will be shorter than support for Evergreen. I want to buy an ATI card but I perceive the devotion or investment for support to be subpar on the Linux side. They have a driver split but on both sides, it is not very good. To appease Linux users, this idea of using open source is used but overall functioning of the card is not optimized and there's a constant waiting game for driver updates and full-featured support.

Yet, when ATI users complain and request more perseverence in driver support, some ATI fanboys scream that Nvidia is worse for using a closed source driver and the devs ask for patience but they didn't buy the cards.

I agree, Nvidia sucks for the closed mentality and lack of OSS driver support but the card will work. When you're Joe User that is what you want. I can't afford the time and I definitely don't have the money to fight the good fight. If ATI driver support was significantly better the and the updates were good and in a timely manner, yeah, I would do my part to get and use a card. I'd try to help with bug reports or whatever I could offer/provide but I don't perceive a strong investment to hurry this improvement. Maybe they are tied down by Windows or just don't have the money, not sure. Well, I will think about it as I do want to go with ATI in spite of the problems.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Panix;123161] I just looked at the X.Org Wiki. The R700 cards show that 3D Mesa works but 'may have bugs.' So, even the X.Org group figure the support is not 100% functional when it comes to 3D.

The issue with R700 and Mesa is mostly that we don't have good criteria for moving from "Mostly" to "Done", so things tend to stick in "Mostly" for a long time.

[QUOTE=Panix;123161] This seems to indicate that the support is not as good as Nvidias and that problems can be expected.

I don't understand this statement. You're comparing our open source support to NVidia's open source support and saying ours is not as good ?

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            The FOSS driver support or current situation/status looks a bit better but of course limited. The Evergreen cards are, more or less, WIP with the fglrx driver and NO support at all for the FOSS driver.
            Again, not sure what you mean by "more or less WIP with the fglrx driver". AFAIK support for Evergreen is the same as support for 6xx/7xx, with some minor differences (OpenGL 4 is Evergreen only, but XvBA is reported not to work with Evergreen).

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            When did these cards come out? About a year ago? That's pretty bad, imho.
            More like 2-6 months ago, isn't it ? The DX11 family initial launch was at the end of September 2009, and the GPUs were launched in waves between then and Feb 2010. One could argue that's pretty good for a new generation of GPUs, particularly since most of the work was going into the 6xx/7xx support until the start of 2010.
            Test signature

Comment

• So what we really need is something that allows edits but only if the new post is "better" than the old post
              Test signature

Comment

• Is it also good when XvBA does not work with R800 at all?

Comment

• Yeah, XvBA is turning into a disaster of epic proportions. gbeauche is saying that AMD doesn't even intend to ever support r800? So they're abandoning the whole API? Or does that mean that r900 support will come back, and r800 will just be skipped?

???

Or maybe they're just waiting for some embedded company to pay them to develop it, i suppose. Yuck, it seems like video acceleration on ATI cards is pretty much DOA on linux.

Comment

• It isn't impossible to get video acceleration on R800... You just have to do massive amounts of coding in OpenCL to write a VDPAU driver for it... LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                      It isn't impossible to get video acceleration on R800... You just have to do massive amounts of coding in OpenCL to write a VDPAU driver for it... LOL
                      Even that doesn't work for the serial parts of decoding - i think i saw a breakdown that showed about 40% of a typical h.264 video fell into that category. (CABAC???)

Shader based video acceleration would be adequate, but never more than that no matter how often bridgman says it's the answer. It's not competitive with UVD/VDPAU, and AMD wouldn't spend the extra money to put it on their cards to begin with if it were. I've accepted that it's probably the best the OSS drivers will ever have, but what's the point of even having the binary fglrx driver if it doesn't provide something like this?

Comment

Working...
                      X