AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
    True, except that this disabled parts could be unworking parts. If you are lucky, it just works by reactivating the de-activated part, but it can also just crash for unknown reason, just because there is something wrong in the chip silicon.
    It's like overclocking : it can work. It often works should I say. But I can also fail.

But, for this particular point, perhaps are they just the same chips, and the difference is only made for marketing purposes. That doesn't change anything on the interest of the topic though.
    Except in this case we're talking about having a defective UVD component. JBQ mentioned in another thread that the target market for the 780V is "business" users, and that for this market, it is *preferable* to have the UVD disabled (presumably to keep people from watching movies when they should be working and/or perception of the part as being for common users). We don't see any other GPUs missing the UVD part besides the 780V/3100, so I suspect that rather than being the "defective" parts, it is more likely to simply be disabled -- and at that, probably by software based on some hardware identifier that marks it as non-UVD.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      I take that back. There's corruption in some places. I opened a thread about it since it's off-topic in this one:

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20333
      that is the punishment for using crap (adobe reader) :P

Comment

• Don't be silly :P It also happens with Gtk apps if I "tray" them; there's black and flickering with I click the tray icon to pop them up again.

Comment

• @xzero2

You need libfaac-dev installed. Then just recompile.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Don't be silly :P It also happens with Gtk apps if I "tray" them; there's black and flickering with I click the tray icon to pop them up again.
            as I said, don't use crap

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
              @herriejr

Maybe you had another codecs file in your system. Usually it is built-in - try removing the system wide one. But i see no reason to manually compile it. As debian package installed via my script it works fine. Just use the scriptname without -1 in the name or disable the "svn up" which currently does not work.
              Hello Kano,
              - reason for manually compiling it is that I also have applied the dshowserver-patch for mplayer
              - problem with the codecs.conf was indeed another codecs file in my system that was being used by default (for the dshowserver patch to work correctly). Therefore I thought - since it was the same error message - that this could be a possible solution. It indeed works fine with the built-in one (for vaapi).

Thanks for your answers and remarks.

Comment

• Can't you apply both patched to the same mplayer?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Can't you apply both patched to the same mplayer?
                  That's what I did (in the end, after I go mplayer-vaapi working). Sorry if I was not clear.

Comment

• There are new libva packages available today. Anyway:
                    Code:
                    libavformat file format detected.
                    [lavf] Video stream found, -vid 0
                    [lavf] Audio stream found, -aid 1
                    VIDEO:  [H264]  1920x816  24bpp  23.976 fps  7403.5 kbps (903.8 kbyte/s)
                    Clip info:
                     major_brand: isom
                     minor_version: 1
                     compatible_brands: isomavc1
                    Could not parse arguments at the position indicated below:
                    gl:reflect
                    ^

-vo vaapi command line help:
                    Example: mplayer -vo vaapi:gl

Options:
                      dm=0|1|2
                        Use direct surface mapping (default: 2 - autodetect)

Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
                    ==========================================================================
                    Opening audio decoder: [faad] AAC (MPEG2/4 Advanced Audio Coding)
                    AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 94.8 kbit/6.17% (ratio: 11845->192000)
                    Selected audio codec: [faad] afm: faad (FAAD AAC (MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Audio))
                    ==========================================================================
                    AO: [oss] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
                    Video: no video
                    Starting playback...

I can never get this thing going.

Comment

• You also need -va vaapi. And do NOT use 9-11 driver, only 9-10 works.

Comment

Working...
                      X