AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    One of our fglrx devs (Felix) created a new patch that properly initialized the new window area, eliminating the corruption and the need for a redundant readback of window contents from video memory to system memory. The patch is at post #228 on the original Ubuntu bug report.
    I tried it and it works. Did someone try to push this upstream yet?

Comment

• I uploaded a new tarball. Rest see the gentoo-forums-thread. patch is in the files dir

Comment

• You know I prefer /etc/portage/env

But we really need to try to put this in upstream. Maybe if lots of people start requesting the hell out of it on the dev lists, they'll adopt it?

Comment

• That patch would reintroduce a variant of this bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13683

Comment

• I don't *think* so - Felix's patch initializes buffers with an alpha component to "transparent" while Eamon's patch set them to "black" (instead of transparent) which is what seemed to introduced the flicker.

Not 100% sure though, but will keep an eye open for any problems. Thanks for the link.
            Last edited by bridgman; 17 November 2009, 01:30 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I don't *think* so - Felix's patch initializes buffers with an alpha component to "transparent" while Eamon's patch set them to "black" (instead of transparent) which is what seemed to introduced the flicker.
              It only initializes 32-bit windows to transparent. From the bug comment: "Pixmaps without an alpha channel will be initialized black."

Comment

• Originally posted by md1032 View Post
                It only initializes 32-bit windows to transparent. From the bug comment: "Pixmaps without an alpha channel will be initialized black."
                OK, maybe I read too much into what you said about a "variant of this bug", sorry. The bug you linked to described problems that resulted from initializing 32-bit window (which had an alpha channel to support transparency) contents to black rather than transparent.

I guess you're saying that initializing a buffer without transparency support will cause the same flicker ?
                Test signature

Comment

• well, I am using kde 4.3 with effects turned on. I patched xorg-sever 1.6.5 with Felix' patch - and I am switching tabs like mad without any flickering.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Then don't ask me questions. Obviously if you do, I have to answer. Your choice.
                    The only question I posed was RHETORICAL, which means that you shouldn't give an answer. Which means that you don't/shouldn't respond.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      well, I am using kde 4.3 with effects turned on. I patched xorg-sever 1.6.5 with Felix' patch - and I am switching tabs like mad without any flickering.
                      The bug report mentioned that GTK+ might be making assumptions about specific behaviour, so it's possible the problems might only show up with Gnome or other GTK+ apps.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X