AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chad Page View Post
    There are 4350 PCI cards out there too, which have more shader power and might get working UVD2 someday.
    Thanks a bunch! I didn't know such things existed. Knowing what to look for I easily found this one:

http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-444.shtml

Do you happen to know of any others?

I don't think we'll ever see F/OSS support for UVD (2), at least not based on AMD documentation... Considering what's apparently at stake (the Blu-ray logo) and what will hopefully turn out to be a much more flexible and powerful alternative (shaders)... Also, there's no harm in having a piece of unused hardware on board, at least if it doesn't use (much) power when idle or makes the board significantly more expensive.

Originally posted by Chad Page View Post
    I don't know how Noueavu's doing with the video decoders on GeForce cards.
    I don't know either, but I do know that I would much rather give my money to AMD than to Nvidia.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Another vote for either HD4350 or 4550 (same GPU core, different RAM and clocks). If you want to pick up something from an earler generation I would go with at least HD2600/HD3650.
    The HD 4xxx series is fine. :-) Do you have a link to an HD 4550 card in a PCI version?

Comment

• Originally posted by RemcoL View Post
      hwdecode-demos always come back with "checking for XvBA... no". Everything else in the configure goes through fine.
      I notice that there's this on the hwdecode-demos download page:
      For XvBA demos:
      XvBA SDK >= 0.73 is required for 2D display.
      XvBA SDK >= 0.74 is required for 3D display.
      I haven't bothered compiling the demos, but I suspect this means that any XvBA-specific demos require said sdk, which AFAIK hasn't been released publicly (else someone would, I assume, have hacked together XvBA support in mplayer long ago?).

I would suspect the va-api demos *might* still function, through, if the xvba-video wrapper has a complete enough implementation, but I'm not very familiar with these things so that is pure speculation.

Comment

• Could an application "translate" VDPAU to VA-API and the other way round, so that every accel technology could be used with every card?

Comment

• vapau-video just does that, D to deinterlace just does not work with vaapi but with pure vdpau. My script installs vdpau-video in case of nvidia card. There is no wrapper for the other way around.

splitted-desktop.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, splitted-desktop.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

• Btw. i wanted to know if XvBA has got a deinterlacer, and guess what

objdump -d /usr/lib/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0|grep Sony|grep Deint

will show you When will D option work with vaapi and xvba/vdpau?

Comment

• Does anybody know if it will make a difference for xvba if the IGP (780g/785g) has SidePort memory or not?

(to the ones reporting succes with a 780g: which mainboard did you use?)

Comment

• Originally posted by disturbedsaint View Post
                Does anybody know if it will make a difference for xvba if the IGP (780g/785g) has SidePort memory or not?

(to the ones reporting succes with a 780g: which mainboard did you use?)
                I have a standard Gigabyte 780g MB w/o sideport. Running Ubuntu Karmic 9.10. VA-API Mplayer worked great with h.264 encoded movies.

Comment

• I compiled mplayer-vaapi and I can watch movies. CPU use is at about 6% which is nice, but I?m still getting tearing. What do I not have set up right?

Comment

• Go into the control panel (amdcccle) opengl/3d options and make sure you have "sync to vblank" enabled.
                    Test signature

Comment

• btw if I enable sync-to-vblank, ut2004 is unplayable with severe mouse lag/overshooting

Comment

Working...
                      X