No announcement yet.

AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vaapi:gl is not tearfree with opengl output until you enable vsync for opengl in amdcccle, same for standard gl output. xv is mainly tearfree with radeon oss driver however but not using fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmorph View Post
      Meh. I'd prefer worthwhile hardware accel of regular DVDs, non-next-gen codecs (plain ol' mpeg, avi, etc.), and Flash.

Neither AMD's Catalyst nor git checkouts of the open-source driver stack can deliver tear- and stutter-free playback of even these simple video formats. Especially not fullscreen.

I've never used H.264 or VC-1, and I can't imagine I ever will. But I do use the other formats daily -- that's where I'd like to see some improvement. I hope this limited XvBA release is a step in that direction.
      I mostly agree with your sentiment, but you should realize that a lot of Flash video today is H.264. VP6 is still out there too of course, and obviously it'd be best if all of these codecs were well supported...

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
        Seems that this get a little more complicated than I thought:
        I had that problem too.

I got past it by linking the libtool in the libva-0.31.0 dir to my distro libtool.

Still no luck on my ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT (on Fedora 11) though:

vainfo
        libva: libva version 0.31.0-sds3
        libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
        libva: Trying to open /usr/local/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
        libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
        vainfo: VA API version: 0.31
        vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA API - 0.5.1
        vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
        xvba_video: XVBA_CreateContext(): status 11
        X Error of failed request: BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length error)
        Major opcode of failed request: 35 (X_AllowEvents)
        Serial number of failed request: 14
        Current serial number in output stream: 14

Comment

Has anyone actually used this to watch a whole movie? It doesn't seem very stable to me.. I get fairly consistent mplayer hangs:

Code:
          *** glibc detected *** ./mplayer: free(): invalid next size (fast): 0x097deea8 ***
          ======= Backtrace: =========
          /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6[0x6031ff1]
          /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6[0x60336f2]
          /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(cfree+0x6d)[0x603679d]
          /usr/lib/libAMDXvBA.so.1(memFree+0x23)[0x70484f6]
          /usr/lib/libAMDXvBA.so.1[0x704b132]
          /usr/lib/libAMDXvBA.so.1(uQSMultiMediaAllocIB+0x46)[0x704b18a]
          /usr/lib/libAMDXvBA.so.1(_ZNK11CMMQSClient10UVDAllocIBE25_QS_MM_ALLOC_IB_PACKET_INP26_QS_MM_ALLOC_IB_PACKET_OUT+0xb1)[0x6f9ea91]
          /usr/lib/libAMDXvBA.so.1(_ZN17CmdBufSrvLinuxUVD11GetQSBufferEj+0xc4)[0x6f9da24]
          /usr/lib/libAMDXvBA.so.1(_ZN14CmdBufSrvLinux7ReserveEjj+0x25)[0x6f9d025]
          /usr/lib/libAMDXvBA.so.1(_ZN6CmdBuf7ReserveEv+0x9b)[0x6f8055b]
          /usr/lib/libAMDXvBA.so.1(_ZN6CmdBuf16AddSurfaceHandleEP13SurfaceMemoryj19_VCOP_RESOURCE_TYPEjN9CmdBufSrv8AddrPartEj+0x22)[0x6f805d2]
          /usr/lib/libAMDXvBA.so.1(_ZNK10RV630Plane16SetupAsUVDBufferEP6CmdBufj+0x5c)[0x703e3dc]
          /usr/lib/libAMDXvBA.so.1(_ZN10UVDCommand6SubmitEPK6DeviceN10UVDSession15UVDInputBuffersEb+0xe0)[0x6f97080]
          /usr/lib/libAMDXvBA.so.1(_ZN10UVDSession8EndFrameEPK6DevicePKN6Decode13EndFrameParamE+0x220)[0x6f99f60]
          /usr/lib/libAMDXvBA.so.1(_ZN13DecodeSession8EndFrameEv+0x38)[0x6f9fd28]
          /usr/lib/libAMDXvBA.so.1(XVBAEndDecodePicture+0xd0)[0x6fadbd0]
          /usr/lib/libXvBAW.so.1(XVBAEndDecodePicture+0x3c)[0xa973ac]
          /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so[0xf7dfc1]
          /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so[0xf7cf00]
          /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so[0xf7d01d]
          /usr/lib/libva-0.31.0.3.so.1(vaEndPicture+0x44)[0xf713d4]
          ./mplayer(ff_vaapi_common_end_frame+0x1f9)[0x87e01b9]
          Just had to reboot, because killing mplayer locked up the X Server....

Comment

I bought a 3850 two years ago and believed eventually my card would have hardware acceleration support. Now this day comes. But thank you ATI. You really makes me feel upset/betrayed. AMD/ATI you betray all faithful buyers who bought your RV6xx even though the performance was worse than Nvidia. I can tolerate the buggy fglrx, I can tolerate my wine broken all the time, but why fglrx can't even bring a small happiness to its RV6xx buyer?! I really think my requirement for fglrx is quite low. I just want hardware acceleration for video decoding so I can watch some 1080p video in linux environment. ATI/AMD, you really break my heart.

Comment

@monraaf

Did you check with mediainfo the codec used?

Comment

[mkv] Track ID 1: video (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC)
                [mkv] Track ID 2: audio (A_AC3)

It plays fine till a certain scene and then hangs mplayer.

Comment

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
                  Format profile : [email protected]

That directly crashes here. Your info is not what i wanted to see.

Comment

What app do you use to get that? I don't have an app 'mediainfo'

Comment

MediaInfo is a convenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files

Comment

Working...
                      X