Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Testing VLC tonight.

    Mplayer working flawlessy, only from command line though. But very nice indeed, watching 1080p on a FullHD 40" LCD.

    Comment


    • VLC with UVD accel at long last!? Can it really be true?

      gbeuche:

      Does xvba-video work with UVD (1) chipsets (with fglrx)? An earlier post in this thread by a HD2XXX owner hinted that he might be in luck but he never said he did get it working but I think he tried without the hotfix fglrx?

      If it is UVD2 only you could add that to this list of limitations at

      http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbe...ne/xvba-video/

      I realise this will be mainly an upstream, fglrx limitation if it isn't an option yet so you can put that too.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by danboid View Post
        VLC with UVD accel at long last!? Can it really be true?
        Upcoming VLC 1.1 uses VAAPI and DXVA2 wherever available. Official release is around the corner (end of the month, IIRC). Currently, you'd need to build from git.

        Does xvba-video work with UVD (1) chipsets (with fglrx)? An earlier post in this thread by a HD2XXX owner hinted that he might be in luck but he never said he did get it working but I think he tried without the hotfix fglrx?
        You can only know by checking it for yourselves, as this would indeed be unsupported, officially. AMD would only support what we provide to our customers: RS780E (and G), 48xx, and 58xx series. The intent of publicly releasing xvba-video was to (i) check with people clips... and (ii) check what chips are working beyond what we use. So, if someone could compile a list of distro/drivers/chips, that would be fine.

        People indeed reported some success with an HD 2600 IIRC. I have means to extract the list of PCI IDs where UVD is activated and used, but I won't be able to post it due to the means I extracted it.

        Comment


        • There must be onboard chips with newer UVD, if you don't mind crashes just test it with a known (partly) working driver. If you dislike fglrx crashes use other hardware

          Comment


          • Originally posted by danboid View Post
            VLC with UVD accel at long last!? Can it really be true?

            gbeuche:

            Does xvba-video work with UVD (1) chipsets (with fglrx)? An earlier post in this thread by a HD2XXX owner hinted that he might be in luck but he never said he did get it working but I think he tried without the hotfix fglrx?
            Here is what I have tested so far: Ubuntu 9.04amd64 with mobile radeon HD 2600 works with Cat 9.10 and all versions of gbeauche's .debs, however 9.12 w/hotfix does not work at all.

            An HD 3300 works with Cat 9.10 and 9.12 w/hotfix on Debian testing-amd64.

            Finally, an HD 3870 works with Cat 9.10 and 9.12 w/hotfix on Debian testing-amd64 as well. When I find the time to test more hardware, I will update this post.

            Comment


            • Catalyst UVD 1 support too!

              Originally posted by DivineGrace View Post
              Here is what I have tested so far: Ubuntu 9.04amd64 with mobile radeon HD 2600 works with Cat 9.10 and all versions of gbeauche's .debs, however 9.12 w/hotfix does not work at all.
              Fantastic news- thats exactly the OS and GPU I have on my laptop atm! I'll be sure to give it a go this weekend. This sure sounds like article-worthy material Michael!

              This brings some hope to us eventually seeing UVD(2) support in the FOSS drivers but I'm not holding my breath.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by DivineGrace View Post
                Finally, an HD 3870 works with Cat 9.10 and 9.12 w/hotfix on Debian testing-amd64 as well. When I find the time to test more hardware, I will update this post.
                I have updated the xvba-video page with your information. Thanks.

                Comment


                • In the first place I want to thank you all for great job.

                  Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                  I have updated the xvba-video page with your information. Thanks.
                  I confirm that hd3200 with catalyst 9.12 hotfix on Ubuntu amd64 works so you cant update ARCH as well...

                  But I've got a question. Is there way to disable that: "AMD Testing use only"?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Samurai Jack View Post
                    In the first place I want to thank you all for great job.



                    I confirm that hd3200 with catalyst 9.12 hotfix on Ubuntu amd64 works so you cant update ARCH as well...

                    But I've got a question. Is there way to disable that: "AMD Testing use only"?
                    Just download the original 9.12 linux driver and instead of the --buildpkg switch, use --extract fglrx.
                    In the newly extracted fglrx folder, find the two files control and signature and then copy them to /etc/ati. Reboot and the watermark should not be there.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by DivineGrace View Post
                      Just download the original 9.12 linux driver and instead of the --buildpkg switch, use --extract fglrx.
                      In the newly extracted fglrx folder, find the two files control and signature and then copy them to /etc/ati. Reboot and the watermark should not be there.
                      Thaaank you

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X