Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not sure how that helps - VDPAU came out after XvBA development was finished.
    Test signature

    Comment


    • That was the biggest fault - xvba was not released and then it was more or less obsolete as vdpau was introduced in most media players. So in theory the best would be a native vdpau implemention in fglrx.

      Comment


      • this time kano is right, you missed something.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Kano View Post
          That was the biggest fault - xvba was not released and then it was more or less obsolete as vdpau was introduced in most media players. So in theory the best would be a native vdpau implemention in fglrx.
          XvBA *was* released to its target markets - embedded customers doing closed box implementations, and ISVs working on proprietary binary-only player apps.

          You just weren't part of those groups.
          bridgman
          AMD Linux
          Last edited by bridgman; 10 November 2009, 06:01 PM.
          Test signature

          Comment


          • Maybe on of the targets was Sony? But hiding a SDK does not make it better, just keeps it far away from lots of (free) testers.

            Comment


            • I can assure you that the decision to keep the API secret was not based on the hope that secrecy would make it "better".
              Test signature

              Comment


              • Apparently the decision also wasn't based on the goal of gaining wide adoption either.

                These are the problems with closed-source development - pretty much no one gets to know about what you've done, and even if they know it's there, pretty much no one benefits from it. And if the company priorities change and the closed-source offering is withdrawn, all of that work goes down the drain, never again to see the light of day. Having seen that already happen to the last 2 proprietary projects I worked on (more than 10 years ago now) I will never work on anything closed source ever again. There's no reward, just a waste of a few years hard work.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
                  Apparently the decision also wasn't based on the goal of gaining wide adoption either.
                  That is correct. The goal was adoption in closed box embedded systems and proprietary player apps, not adoption by open source players.
                  Test signature

                  Comment


                  • Well it could be the other way too - that not that many ppl see how much worse it is compared to vdpau

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      Well it could be the other way too - that not that many ppl see how much worse it is compared to vdpau
                      Depends on your definition of "worse". If it's going into embedded stuff, it will likely be very different and maybe not as suited to the pc. The reverse could also be true of vdpau.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X