No announcement yet.

AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basically the app could force vsync on too. Don't know why this is not done.

Comment

• vsync issue

Go into the control panel (amdcccle) opengl/3d options and make sure you have "sync to vblank" enabled.
      When I enable "Wait for vertical refresh" in amdcccle, I get very jerky playback of some h.264 files. These same files play well using XvBA, with little tearing, without this setting. I don't have a "sync to vblank" option in my amdcccle.

Could the frame rate be a problem? A seperate 1080p 24fps plays fine.

File info:
      [CODEmediainfo hannity.ts
      General
      ID : 0
      Complete name : hannity.ts
      Format : MPEG-TS
      File size : 318 MiB
      Duration : 7mn 8s
      Overall bit rate : 6 223 Kbps
      Maximum Overall bit rate : 18.0 Mbps

Video
      ID : 4113 (0x1011)
      Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
      Format : AVC
      Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
      Format profile : [email protected]
      Format settings, CABAC : Yes
      Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
      Bit rate : 5 407 Kbps
      Width : 1 280 pixels
      Height : 720 pixels
      Display aspect ratio : 16:9
      Frame rate : 59.940 fps
      Resolution : 24 bits
      Colorimetry : 4:2:0
      Scan type : Progressive
      Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.098
      Stream size : 276 MiB (87%)
      colour_primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
      transfer_characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
      matrix_coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
      ID : 4352 (0x1100)
      Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
      Format : AC-3
      Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
      Bit rate mode : Constant
      Bit rate : 384 Kbps
      Channel(s) : 6 channels
      Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
      Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
      Video delay : -50ms
      Stream size : 19.6 MiB (6%)
      [/CODE]

Comment

• Yeah, "sync to vblank" and "wait for vertical refresh" are the same.

What is your display refresh rate set to ? Maybe it's just a bit slower than the video frame rate - that might result in jerky playback.
        Test signature

Comment

• Yeah, "sync to vblank" and "wait for vertical refresh" are the same.

What is your display refresh rate set to ? Maybe it's just a bit slower than the video frame rate - that might result in jerky playback.
          While the video is playing, according to the monitor it is 60Hz. If I can change it (I don't know if the monitor can go much higher), I will try again and report the results.

Comment

• I'm just guessing based on your comment that some 720p 60Hz were jerky with sync-to-vblank enabled while 24Hz videos were not. If tweaking the refresh rate doesn't help (I'm thinking your display might be at 59 rather than 60 Hz) think about things like memory shortages, swapping etc...
            Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I'm just guessing based on your comment that some 720p 60Hz were jerky with sync-to-vblank enabled while 24Hz videos were not. If tweaking the refresh rate doesn't help (I'm thinking your display might be at 59 rather than 60 Hz) think about things like memory shortages, swapping etc...
              Sorry if I was not clear, but you are correct. I have tested at 1280x1024 @75 and the effect is still there but much less pronounced. Looking at a news crawl it is almost like a vibration. Without vsync the crawl is very smooth with only occasional tearing.

Comment

• I don't remember if fglrx has an option for triple-buffering but if you see something like that give it a try.
                Test signature

Comment

• Wouldn't it be reasonable to release the xvba sdk as mentioned in

splitted-desktop.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, splitted-desktop.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

And opensource the xvba-video wrapper? Then the pcom output should work for everybody too and gl output would not be needed.

Comment

• No. That SDK was not designed for public release.
                    Test signature

Comment

• That's the wrong decision, vdpau should show clearly how to define new standards.

Comment

Working...
                      X