ATI R600/700 3D Support In Fedora 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    Right... x800 should have been working since F...9?
    As bridgman above says, might be a bug that just doesn't happen to be known, i.e., it doesn't affect very many people. Be sure to report it, i.e. to the bug trackers of both Fedora as well as Xorg.

Could also be something to do with the KMS stuff that was really in a "not sure if its coming or going" state in F11, might want to try to just force-disable KMS. I think the kernel parameter is "nomodeset" (or something like that).

Might also help if you describe what it does (or does not) do in more details... "not working" doesn't give anybody much to go on.
    In this case, not working means a blank or messed-up looking screen when X.org starts during DVD boot. I get the same with Ubuntu 9.04 or YDL 6.1, though I know that the YDL site states explicitly that Radeon X800 is not yet supported.

Now that Fedora 12 is about 17 days away, I'll be burning it then and hoping for the best. If that fails, I'll have to make sure there's a bug report for it. No time to try for a beta release now on my rather poor DSL.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I'm not sure yet whether Fedora is not working on this system because of the X800 GPU or the fact that the card is a flashed PC model, either. Do ye think that would make a difference? It can be quirky in Mac OS X, having minor graphics glitches that will disappear with the installation of ATI's own driver release meant for Tiger.

Comment

Gallium3D have something to do with this?

Comment

This is all with the "classic" mesa HW driver model so far, ie not Gallium3D.
        Test signature

Comment

Sound problem - workaround found

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
          Interesting, but not the same problem. I'd have a tough time guessing what your problem actually is, though. Try moving your Audigy to a different PCI slot, if it's an expansion card and not on-board.
          FYI, I have managed to work around my sound problem by replacing the S/PDIF cable connecting my CD-RW drive to my Audigy2 with an analogue one instead. Whether this means that my S/PDIF cable is bad (somehow), the S/PDIF connector on my Audigy2 is bad, or ALSA's snd-emu10k1 driver has an issue with S/PDIF and Fedora 11/Pulseaudio, I do not know...

Comment

You mean that you have a wire running directly between the cd and the soundcard? Pull it out entirely -- it is redundant. That wire was useful back when the average CPU was a 386 and disk access was PIO (programmed I/O), it was used to allow the audio to bypass the CPU. This is no longer needed. First, the CPU is so much more powerful now that the impact of audio data would be negligible, second, we no longer use the old PIO mode disk access (now DMA), so it wouldn't hit the CPU anywhere near as hard either way (i.e., it would only hit the CPU if you are doing transformations on the audio stream).

And either way, when playing an audio CD, those circuits in the drive won't even be activated, so nothing is running on those wires anyways.

See the following:

I suspect that the issue you were having is a driver fault -- probably activated when there is something detected connected to that connector.

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
            FYI, I have managed to work around my sound problem by replacing the S/PDIF cable connecting my CD-RW drive to my Audigy2 with an analogue one instead. Whether this means that my S/PDIF cable is bad (somehow), the S/PDIF connector on my Audigy2 is bad, or ALSA's snd-emu10k1 driver has an issue with S/PDIF and Fedora 11/Pulseaudio, I do not know...

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              You mean that you have a wire running directly between the cd and the soundcard? Pull it out entirely -- it is redundant. That wire was useful back when the average CPU was a 386 and disk access was PIO (programmed I/O), it was used to allow the audio to bypass the CPU. This is no longer needed.
              I had that wire hooked up until recently, and it was good for one thing! Up until last year, I had a super-old CD-ROM drive from 1996 that had a "Play" button on it. Pressing "Play" would play the music CD that was inside, sending the sound through that analog wire and through the sound card without any processing being done at any level. That drive finally died a few months ago Longest-running piece of hardware I've ever owned.

Of course, that's a fringe case and not typical at all. In most cases, that wire is completely useless and I find it amusing that there are still connectors on both drives and motherboards/sound cards for it.

Comment

r600 hanging issues addressed (probably)

if anyone's following this bug who tried F12 Beta on an r600 card but was having hanging issues - which AREN'T related to oddball soundcard problems =) - please keep an eye on this bug report:

we're fairly sure we got the bug fixed in a recent kernel build, which you can get here:

all early tests are positive. If you don't have / want to have an F12 installation, there's an x86-64 live image which includes the fixed kernel here:

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                  if anyone's following this bug who tried F12 Beta on an r600 card but was having hanging issues - which AREN'T related to oddball soundcard problems =) - please keep an eye on this bug report:

we're fairly sure we got the bug fixed in a recent kernel build, which you can get here:

all early tests are positive. If you don't have / want to have an F12 installation, there's an x86-64 live image which includes the fixed kernel here:

http://adamwill.fedorapeople.org/rad...102-x86_64.iso
                  Please can someone post an alternate link to this image? Thanks

Comment

can someone post another link to this image (radeon-20091102-x86_64.iso) ? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gorneman View Post
                      can someone post another link to this image (radeon-20091102-x86_64.iso) ? Thanks
                      It's obsolete, you don't need it any more. The current nightly - http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt...poses/desktop/ - should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X