ATI R600/700 3D Support In Fedora 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by airlied View Post
    Fedora 12 does that as well, kernel modesetting enables it.

Dave.
    Thanks So as I'm using Ubuntu, do you think this howto >> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/RadeonKMS could solve this problem ?

Comment

Originally posted by etymxris View Post
      I got the DLP because it is 73" (80" is available too). It'll be a while before LCD, LED, or plasma can hit that size at decent prices.
      I have the exact same TV you do and have the same problems with overscan/underscan. So far both ATI and Nvidia cards do the same thing on that TV, and I've simply chalked it up to a crappy TV. I've seen a lot of newer TVs which display computer outputs perfectly, both LCD and LED TVs. I'm just waiting until they're low enough in price and big enough then I'll upgrade, but yes it is stupid that these DLP TVs don't display computer output correctly and can function as a big monitor. We usually leave it overscanning unless there's a real reason to see the boarders, and then change it to reduced mode.

First thing I'm doing is bringing a laptop with me for when I make my next TV purchase to make sure this will no longer be an issue.

Comment

Hanging

There appears to be more than one bug manifesting as the system hanging shortly after login. If pcie_aspm=off as a kernel parameter works around the problem for you, that is indeed:

if that parameter doesn't seem to have any effect, take a look at:

or:

those are the ones I'm currently tracking. 'nomodeset' may suffice as a workaround, try that.

Comment

KDE4

Are there any experiences with Radeon3D and KDE4 (Kwin)??

Btw. if someone successfully tests games, drop it here: http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram

Comment

Mesa output

Hello, can anybody who get it work post here the output of glxgears -info?
            (GL_EXTENSIONS can be wiped out).

week ago I have tried to get my Radeon HD 3650 on gentoo work. i took latest mesa, kernel drivers etc from live trees and after linking everything together my glxinfo output still showed mesa software rasterizer. is this supposed to be so with the open source drivers?

i was not able to get my ati to reasonable work either with opensource or proprietary drivers.

Proprietary: perfect 3d, hard problems with 2d - similar to reported problems with KDE4 (but e16 here and without compositing) - the movement of windows and between desktop has unbearable delays - waiting for 2s for logout window etc... i tried the patch for xorg-server which was suppposed to help KDE4 but no success here. (btw is there any chance to get support from ati people on such issues?)

Opensource: perfect 2d. once i enable DRI, e16 pager stops working, instead of windows snapshots only black squares visible. i'm not sure i got 3D work, all xorg logs report success, but glxinfo still reports the software randerizer (see my question in the begining), but if yes then compared to proprietary drivers we are still nowhere. eg. googleearth still unusably slow - this seems to be in accordance to what devs themselves state on r600/r700 drivers wiki page.

Comment

What about power usage? The free driver can slow frequencies down when in desktop usage?

Comment

ASUS M51Ta - FINALLY REAL 3D ACCELERATION!!!!

Hello, just to share my happiness! My computer (M51Ta) has an hybrid graphic configuration:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS780M/RS780MN [Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]
                02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3650

I have been trying many things with Ubuntu to make it work with 3D acceleration with no good results (last fglrx, radeonhd...).
                And finally, thanks to Kano's suggestion in other post (http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...7427#post97427) I installed fedora 12 beta nightly-compose of 26/10/2009 and then installed mesa experimental drivers:
                Code:
                su
                yum install mesa-dri-drivers-experimental
                It works great!!! And I use lots of 3D stuff! Although I didn't have time to workaround a lot, so far GREAT advance!

Comment

Originally posted by mattdm View Post
                  This is a known bug. Boot with "pcie_aspm=off" on the kernel command line (edit /etc/grub.conf) to work around the problem.

For details, look at Red Hat bugzilla #517625. (I can't post the direct link yet since this is a new account. Moderator, go ahead and delete this posting once the other one goes through. Thanks!)
                  Heh the freezing was caused by pulseaudio+audigy combination I finally removed my unused audigy card and everything started to work... One hell of a surprise fix

Comment

Originally posted by brada View Post
                    Hello, can anybody who get it work post here the output of glxgears -info?
                    (GL_EXTENSIONS can be wiped out).

week ago I have tried to get my Radeon HD 3650 on gentoo work. i took latest mesa, kernel drivers etc from live trees and after linking everything together my glxinfo output still showed mesa software rasterizer. is this supposed to be so with the open source drivers?

i was not able to get my ati to reasonable work either with opensource or proprietary drivers.

Proprietary: perfect 3d, hard problems with 2d - similar to reported problems with KDE4 (but e16 here and without compositing) - the movement of windows and between desktop has unbearable delays - waiting for 2s for logout window etc... i tried the patch for xorg-server which was suppposed to help KDE4 but no success here. (btw is there any chance to get support from ati people on such issues?)

Opensource: perfect 2d. once i enable DRI, e16 pager stops working, instead of windows snapshots only black squares visible. i'm not sure i got 3D work, all xorg logs report success, but glxinfo still reports the software randerizer (see my question in the begining), but if yes then compared to proprietary drivers we are still nowhere. eg. googleearth still unusably slow - this seems to be in accordance to what devs themselves state on r600/r700 drivers wiki page.
                    You need to make sure r600_dri.so is getting built in Mesa. If it hasn't been installed you'll get a warning in Xorg.0.log. If it doesn't load r600 it will default to swrast. My build script patches the default dri configs before building Mesa.

Code:
                    --- ./configs/linux-dri.orig	2009-06-17 12:41:53.000000000 -0600
                    +++ ./configs/linux-dri	2009-10-11 21:54:48.910490712 -0600
                    @@ -63,5 +63,5 @@ GALLIUM_WINSYS_DIRS = drm
                     GALLIUM_WINSYS_DRM_DIRS = intel
                     GALLIUM_STATE_TRACKERS_DIRS = egl

-DRI_DIRS = i810 i915 i965 mach64 mga r128 r200 r300 radeon s3v \
                    +DRI_DIRS = i810 i915 i965 mach64 mga r128 r200 r300 r600 radeon s3v \
                     	savage sis tdfx trident unichrome ffb swrast

--- ./configs/linux-dri-x86-64.orig	2009-10-12 00:59:12.616275651 -0600
                    +++ ./configs/linux-dri-x86-64	2009-10-12 01:04:00.971276520 -0600
                    @@ -20,7 +20,7 @@ EXTRA_LIB_PATH=-L/usr/X11R6/lib64
                     # the new interface.  i810 are missing because there is no x86-64
                     # system where they could *ever* be used.
                     #
                    -DRI_DIRS = i915 i965 mach64 mga r128 r200 r300 radeon savage tdfx unichrome
                    +DRI_DIRS = i915 i965 mach64 mga r128 r200 r300 r600 radeon savage swrast tdfx unichrome

INSTALL_DIR = /usr
                     EXTRA_LIB_PATH = -L/usr/lib64

Comment

blindfrog: did you file a bug for that?

There was another guy having odd interactions between radeon driver and his sound card. I wonder if there's something deeper going on than just resource conflicts...

Comment

Working...
                      X