Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blindfrog
    Freezes here too with Radeon 4850 Can't even login ---> unusable
    This is a known bug. Boot with "pcie_aspm=off" on the kernel command line (edit /etc/grub.conf) to work around the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by blindfrog
      Freezes here too with Radeon 4850 Can't even login ---> unusable
      This is a known bug. Boot with "pcie_aspm=off" on the kernel command line (edit /etc/grub.conf) to work around the problem.

For details, look at Red Hat bugzilla #517625. (I can't post the direct link yet since this is a new account. Moderator, go ahead and delete this posting once the other one goes through. Thanks!)

Comment

Some apps I'd like to see tested on this setup:

- Google Earth
        - VMware Workstation with a Windows guest and DirectX support enabled
        - Java3D demos

I currently don't have an ATI card but I will be interested in getting one if these apps work.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelPalin View Post
          Is this Mesa build exclusive to Fedora or will be available for other distributions too? I'm one of those GNU/Linux users that wouldn't know what to do outside of Ubuntu,
          Ubuntu mainline kernel-ppa: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
          Ubuntu xorg-edgers ppa: https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers

I am not commenting on these because you should only mess with them if you know what you're doing! It's not exactly hard though.

Using Ubuntu Karmic and xorg-edgers, I am able to run Nexuiz just fine and without visual artifacts/corruptions on my HD 4850. Compiz/KWin4 run amazingly well, too. I am really surprised about how good the Mesa R600 3D driver already runs.

Comment

I know this article is about 3d, but how is 2d? I have a Radeon HD3200, and I watch a lot of HD videos (mostly <1080p). How would this perform on my system? I'd rather use the open source; would opengl output work well like the catalyst drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post
              Using XOrg Server 1.6.4, Mesa 7.6, radeon_hd 1.8, kernel 2.6.32-rc5 on a Toshiba L305D at 1280x800 is working amazingly well for me.
              I build all of my programs from source, so my versions are probably not what you'd find on a standard distribution.
              I thought the latest version of the radeonhd driver was 1.3? It doesn't matter if you compile from source, how did you end up with a 1.8? Seems like an odd typo to make, the 8 is nowhere near the 3.

Comment

Originally posted by jbrown96 View Post
                I know this article is about 3d, but how is 2d? I have a Radeon HD3200, and I watch a lot of HD videos (mostly <1080p). How would this perform on my system? I'd rather use the open source; would opengl output work well like the catalyst drivers?
                Yes, the Apple trailers would be a good benchmark, as they come in 3 resolutions.

Of course the benchmark would have to be made for an action move, with lots of FPS, and a drama with close to constant FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaius View Post
                  Ok 3D is good...but...what about simple things like 2D acceleration available for EVERY users connected ... for now, only the first user to login has direct acceleration....
                  Fedora 12 does that as well, kernel modesetting enables it.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by GoremanX View Post
                    I thought the latest version of the radeonhd driver was 1.3? It doesn't matter if you compile from source, how did you end up with a 1.8? Seems like an odd typo to make, the 8 is nowhere near the 3.
                    Hehe, it wasn't a typo it was a brain-fart. 1.3.0 is the correct version.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelPalin View Post
                      Is this Mesa build exclusive to Fedora or will be available for other distributions too? I'm one of those GNU/Linux users that wouldn't know what to do outside of Ubuntu,
                      It is not that hard to get familiar with Fedora enough to try it out. The Beta Live cd or the nightly builds at http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/ are available for easily trying the latest stuff.

Otherwise wait for another six months, I am sure other distributions will catch up. Fedora doesn't hoard patches and all these changes are merged upstream which will eventually trickle in everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                      X