Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
    good this means that we can use kms?
    KMS+catalyst seems an unlikely combo to me.
    If you want KMS, use the FOSS radeon or radeonhd driver.

Comment

While waiting
      oftopicchatting()

that amd atplay banner keeps reminding me about my favorite (onhold) serie 'Chuck'. Maybe its me missing my favorite serie and looking forward to see more about that 'I know kungfu stuff'

ontopic: Still no catalyst download though

Comment

good this means that we can use kms?
        Ciao, are you talking about that coexistance with the DRM kernel module?
        Then, my friend, that's Nein!

It doesn't work that way. As Bridgman and the many driver developers writing on this forum, for which I can't thank them enough, already said a zillion times, KMS, kernel module-driven acceleration, power management, and so on, ..., all depends on a strict cooperation, and state tracking, between all the involved parties: DRM module, GL implementation, DDX (X video driver).
        The open source DRM modules know nothing about AMD's fglrx modules, out of my ignorance I assume completely different memory management, different hardware state tracking, and more generally I assume fglrx isn't going to use the in-kernel DRM module services anytime soon.

Knowledgeable ones, please correct and insult me.

Comment

yeah but you can load fglrx driver when the boot is finished no?

Comment

When will they fix Catalyst 9.10 download link?

Comment

yeah but you can load fglrx driver when the boot is finished no?
              Oh, you mean THAT?

Well, I really don't know. I don't know if the new fglrx can be loaded while having the main DRM module, or even DRM module + radeon DRM module. If it's the first one, all it has to do is to unload the DRM module in a clean and safe way, then registering itself (I don't know if there are any duplicate symbols between the two). As per the second one, there has to be a way for fglrx to cleanly unload radeon + drm modules (is it possible? Do they leave the hardware in a state that fglrx can safely pick up?).

Is it currently possible to unload KMS enabled DRM + radeon modules after boot? I really haven't tried yet, but looking at the complexity of a recently implemented infrastructure (KMS needs a memory manager, already implemented and working), I wouldn't be surprised if it still wasn't possible.

I replied with questions... oh, well...

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
                I think the ATi devs have no idea how to write a Linux driver, so they wrote an entire new kernel and embedded it with the graphics driver.
                then they would not be clueless in terms how to write a driver but geniuses

where's the driver btw ? still waiting for it and getting 404

Comment

Originally posted by tutututu View Post
                  Will Catalyst 9.10 support 2.6.32 or just 2.6.31 kernel?
                  this has always been a bug bear of AMD releases, I do hope it will as .32 is already at RC5! this one will support 31 but it alway seem to track the unbuntu releases so Opensuse users like me will end up having to run old kernels as our release cycle is around 18 months now

Comment

For various reasons, AMD are unlikely to officially support the .32 kernel. Not saying it won't run on it, just don't expect it. This is, in my opinion, not a problem - just a reasonable business decision.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                      For various reasons, AMD are unlikely to officially support the .32 kernel. Not saying it won't run on it, just don't expect it. This is, in my opinion, not a problem - just a reasonable business decision.
                      lol

Anyway, where the heck is the driver? Every month when I complain about missing stuff (release notes), I'm told I'm too pedantic, but next month it gets topped with more missing stuff, this time the entire driver. roflmao.

I'd like to see one of the 6 different Windows drivers missing

Comment

Working...
                      X