Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD loosing money, uncertain free software development funding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    In retrospect, I would have paid out of my own pocket to put XP on all their machines to save myself from the massive freaking headache that experience turned out to be.
    Yes indeed. I've made the same mistake. If someone has already decided to take the Linux plunge I'll give them advice, but in no way will I ever again be a Linux evangelist. I don't know how many hours I have wasted providing support for people I pushed into using Linux, only to have them eventually return to Windows. If a tool works, use it: OS X, Windows, Linux, BSD, Solaris, BeOS... hell, even SCO UNIX... whatever the user is familiar with and is comfortable using.

I use Linux because I prefer a Unix environment and Linux has better support for my hardware than the BSD variants. I use Linux despite the rabble-rousers. I support open source software projects by donating money (***gasp***) and/or time (simple fixes/correcting build issues). In my opinion, Richard Stallman made a HUGE mistake calling open source software with user friendly licensing "free". In the immortal words of Robert Heinlein, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch". TANSTAAFL.

Linux should not be a social cause. There are approximately 2^26 social issues of more importance than an operating system or application software.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      Even when everyone is using Windows and doesn't need to learn anything new or deal with massive amounts of incompatibility with software,
      Uh, like XP to Vista? Even I can't find half the things I want when I have to use a Vista PC.

I do agree with your general points, but the idea that Windows users 'don't need to learn anything new' seems bizarre when Microsoft just radically changed their user interface so that even people who've used Windows since 3.0 can't find anything anymore.

In addition, I suspect that anyone who does free tech support for friends gets a lot more questions about how to fix Windows ('why's it running so slow?' 'You have three hundred types of malware installed') than how to fix Linux.

Comment

Working...
      X