Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 12 Beta To Come Next Week

Phoronix: Fedora 12 Beta To Come Next Week

There has not been a new development release of Fedora 12 since the Constantine Alpha release back in August. However, the second and last development release, Fedora 12 Beta, is set to be released next week. It has been delayed a few times already, but Fedora 12 Beta packs all of the features that are to be found in Fedora 12 with the final development freeze already in effect. Here is an early look at where the Fedora 12 Beta is at in regards to its artwork and feature set.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

more!

couple of interesting features I can think of that weren't mentioned - which is probably our fault for not highlighting them more prominently, I'll have to check the release documentation:

* Bluetooth PAN support in NetworkManager - http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2009/07/...etworkmanager/

* Easy access to GNOME Shell: install the gnome-shell package, and then you can select it from the Desktop Effects preferences app which you usually use to enable Compiz

* early r600 DRI available: just install the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental package. On my test hardware (a Radeon HD 4770), glxgears, compiz, and neverball work. GNOME Shell partly works but is essentially unusable as input to any GNOME Shell UI elements is broken. Didn't try any more advanced games yet.

It's also worth highlighting F12 should be rather less problematic on Intel and Radeon hardware than F11 was, we're at a better place with those two drivers at present. Also, kernel modesetting by default in nouveau, and suspend/resume support.

Comment

Looking forward to the final release.
      Have tested a nightly build and was very pleased to see how everything "just worked".
      2D support for ATI Mobility X1600 was good as expected, but i could not get to run the game TORCS at a reasonable speed.
      I had max 5+ fps, but i think it may have been a bug or something.

Comment

deagleson:

interesting, thanks for testing! could you try booting with 'nomodeset' kernel parameter and see how the game behaves then? I think radeon is known (unfortunately) to have much worse 3D performance with modesetting enabled on some chips, at present. thanks!

Comment

Does the Gnome Shell require OpenGL acceleration? Would it work with R6xx without the experimental 3D driver?

Comment

a) sort of, and b) i haven't tested. I believe it needs 3D rendering, but willll work with Mesa software rendering if your driver has no hardware acceleration capability. I don't know how well / fast that works, though.

the bug I mentioned is a known one that should hopefully get fixed before F12 final, though it'll probably still be present in the beta.

Comment

So will RHEL6 be based on FC12 ? I always thought that FC11 would be the base for this... But it's been awfully quiet regarding a new RHEL6/CentOS6

'cause I would really like to switch from CentOS 5.x to 6.x, since 5.x is so incredibly outdated

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                interesting, thanks for testing! could you try booting with 'nomodeset' kernel parameter and see how the game behaves then? I think radeon is known (unfortunately) to have much worse 3D performance with modesetting enabled on some chips, at present. thanks!
                Downloading a Nightly build now to try that.
                Damn i hate my gpu.

Comment

anybody: yes, f12 is the initial base for rhel6.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                    anybody: yes, f12 is the initial base for rhel6.
                    YAY!

BTW, thanks Adam for your work! I had the occasion to appreciate it since the Mandriva days...

Comment

Working...
                    X