ATI R300-R500 Gallium3D Driver Is "Mostly" Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eosie View Post
    However, there is a little problem. As far as I know, r3xx-r5xx does not fully support non-power-of-two textures (e.g. the repeat wrap mode and mipmapping) and it is the prerequisite for GL2.0. If r300g gets GL2.x, this will imply falling back to software rasterizer in some situations, as was done in the proprietary drivers, am I right? Or will developers stick to GL1.5 + GLSL? I guess violating the GL spec in order to get GL2.x is out of the question, but that would be a pleasant solution in practice because people could use a newer GL API than what they have now.
    Isn't that the whole point of the "Softpipe pass-through" stuff that Michael said was marked done? Performance of apps that require that would be very bad but developers would just have to realize that can't be used on those cards, as I'm sure they already do. And the drivers would fully support GL2 - there's no requirement for doing it at any certain speed.

Comment

Good news for ATI owners then.
      I have no clue what Gallium3D is (Better check Wikipedia ), but i like improvements.

Comment

Bwahaha, it's not the 1st time I regret a little to have only these modern R600 based chips. When I see all the goodness happening on R100-500 first. I guess I'll have to be patient a few more months.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          Isn't that the whole point of the "Softpipe pass-through" stuff that Michael said was marked done? Performance of apps that require that would be very bad but developers would just have to realize that can't be used on those cards, as I'm sure they already do. And the drivers would fully support GL2 - there's no requirement for doing it at any certain speed.
          The history tells us not to believe Michael on these things. I highly doubt it's that easy to switch hardware/software rasterizer in real-time since a GPU must share the same data with a CPU, which cannot be done without endlessly moving data around. I'd like someone informed to clear that up.

Comment

The history tells us not to believe Michael on these things.
            A good way to deal with phoronix news is to click on every link that doesn't lead back to phoronix and read them. Most of the time, the news contain no more than a short summary of the linked article, and sometimes Michael rushes the news and gets it wrong.

Now I'm not expecting him to be fault-free or an expert in anything he's writing news about. In fact I enjoy the aggregate news, if only to click on the links. I just wish there was a way to prevent the ensuing forum-drama every time something's off

Comment

However, there is a little problem. As far as I know, r3xx-r5xx does not fully support non-power-of-two textures (e.g. the repeat wrap mode and mipmapping) and it is the prerequisite for GL2.0.
              Well, ATi Catalyst is able to pull it off somehow, so I guess it's actually is not that a big problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
                Well, ATi Catalyst is able to pull it off somehow, so I guess it's actually is not that a big problem.
                Couldn't the drivers just treat any non power of 2 texture as the next power of 2 size larger? It's not a great situation to have a 600px texture treated as a 1024 pixel one, but that seems like a relatively simple solution.

Comment

Gallum3D i965 driver

And in meanwhile, gallium3d i965 driver was removed....

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                    A good way to deal with phoronix news is to click on every link that doesn't lead back to phoronix and read them. Most of the time, the news contain no more than a short summary of the linked article, and sometimes Michael rushes the news and gets it wrong.

Now I'm not expecting him to be fault-free or an expert in anything he's writing news about. In fact I enjoy the aggregate news, if only to click on the links. I just wish there was a way to prevent the ensuing forum-drama every time something's off
                    Seriously. It's gotten to the point where I went and used userCSS to highlight the offsite links in articles because finding the actual content was so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by iznogood View Post
                      Also i want to ask why there is no gallium on r100 chips?
                      I believe Gallium pretty much requires modern hardware. It's designed around how all modern cards work (programmable pipelines) instead of the fixed function pipelines of older graphics hardware.

The hardware types are so different there's really no way to come up with a sane driver architecture for both.

Comment

Working...
                      X