X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    Does AIGLX have something to do with the OpenGL driver?

Yoshi, the performance issues should be fixed with the new OpenGL driver coming later 2007.
    Yes, AIGLX does have something to do with the OpenGL driver. AIGLX is Accelerated Indirect GLX. If you don't have the right hooks in things, you don't get AIGLX- you just get Indirect Rendering, which means software Mesa. AMD's drivers don't support a handful of the nifty things we've managed to do with OpenGL and DRI. I believe NVidia's drivers have tracked things better than AMD has.

As for the performance issues, I will reserve judgment on all of that- I'm not going to presume a single thing about what AMD is or isn't going to manage by end of this year on the Linux support front for GPUs.

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied
    Does AIGLX have something to do with the OpenGL driver?

Yoshi, the performance issues should be fixed with the new OpenGL driver coming later 2007.

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    well if the admitting the problem took so long...i don't even want to think about it

btw. they still haven't apparently noticed the windows-linux performance gap :/

Leave a comment:

• Moustacha
    replied
    First step is admitting you have a problem, second step is finding the solution, third creating it. Hopefully by the end of the year their drivers will be on par or better than nVidia's. The r600 sounds enticing but the crippled Linux support puts me off =\

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic AMD Knows Its Problems

AMD Knows Its Problems

Phoronix News: AMD Knows Its Problems

Phoronix Forum member Pinx had spotted a new entry in the AMD Customer Care Knowledge-base. This entry was created on April 2 and then was last modified on April 8. In this entry they finally (publicly) acknowledge no support for AIGLX, Beryl, Compiz, MythTV, and TV TIME by the fglrx Linux drivers. The entry can be read here. Remember, things can change and they still can add the support

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X