Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No hardware video acceleration from ATI - ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why should ati/amd include libs when they don't plan to use them?

maybe you just need to be patient?

Comment

Hoping for a fix

Originally posted by tuxdriver View Post
      * Install the latest version of MPC-HC (1.3.x),open the preferences window and enable the H.264/VC1 DXVA decoders.
      * Use the default renderer (Overlay Mixer) to minimize CPU usage
      The CPU load is very low (2% ~ 10% on a 2GHz single core box)

I'm trying to get this to work, but i can't find any "preferences", do you mean "options" (and then "output") in the "view" column?

Comment

Originally posted by doghearthalo View Post
        I'm trying to get this to work, but i can't find any "preferences", do you mean "options" (and then "output") in the "view" column?

and

On XP you has to use VMR or Overlay Mixer an on Vidta and Windows 7 EVR

And this Link is very helpful http://nunnally.ahmygoddess.net/watc...os-using-dxva/
        Last edited by Nille; 05 October 2009, 07:35 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE And this Link is very helpful http://nunnally.ahmygoddess.net/watc...os-using-dxva/[/QUOTE]

Thank you. The file i'm having trouble with is "Big Buck Bunny" ( http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/download/ ). The file h264 1080p plays poorly on MPC and VLC, with cpu at max. The avi (1080p) msmp4 version plays fine on VLC (but with cpu on about 70%), but on MPC the screen is just black.

The elephants dream file plays well on MPC with cpu at about 10%.

How to get the msmp4.avi file to play on MPC ?

I will download the mp4 version and see if it will play on MPC.
          Last edited by doghearthalo; 06 October 2009, 12:41 PM.

Comment

"I will download the mp4 version and see if it will play on MPC"

This will not play on MPC either...

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

On XP you has to use VMR or Overlay Mixer an on Vista and Windows 7 EVR
              Not true.

All renderers work under Windows XP: VMR7, VMR9, Overlay Mixer and even EVR. To enable EVR, you'll have to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 first.

Overlay Mixer is so fast it's funny. If you disable the audio output (use the null audio renderer), CPU usage during playback of Big Buck Bunny, Elephants Dream or the Sahara clip drops down to 0% on a 2GHz single core box
              Last edited by tuxdriver; 07 October 2009, 11:19 AM.

Comment

the CPU usage during playback of Big Buck Bunny, Elephants Dream or the Sahara clip is 0% on a 2GHz single core box

So which of the Big Buck Bunny files do you play?

And about the DXVAChecker - under decoder device MPC don't show up, and not any of the other video programs either.

Comment

So which of the Big Buck Bunny files do you play?
                  This one:

Comment

Alright

That version plays just fine :-) Cpu on 10-20% load, but it's only an old Sempron 1.6 ghz.

Comment

That version plays just fine :-) Cpu on 10-20% load, but it's only an old Sempron 1.6 ghz.
                      Just for giggles, I also tried that video on an old, dog slow AthlonXP box (1.9 GHz) with an AGP RadeonHD card. CPU usage varies between 0% and 4% (with sound disabled) even when using the EVR renderer with the highest possible quality settings.

ATI cards currently support decoding of H.264 streams only up to L5.0. Non-standard formats (i.e. L5.0 High with a very high number of reference frames) are not supported. L5.1 is supported only on NVIDIA cards.

For example, the camera video (a 40Mbps L5.0 Baseline H.264 stream) plays back perfectly with a CPU load of 4%~7%.

The other version of the Big Buck Bumble video (9.5Mbps H.264 @ L4.1 Main) works as well. Despite the higher bitrate, this video uses less CPU resources and looks worse than the one from DIVX.com.

P.S. I've updated the DXVA guide with more info. Here's a direct link to the post: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=27
                      Last edited by tuxdriver; 07 October 2009, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X