No announcement yet.

AMD R600/700 2D Performance: Open vs. Closed Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, have you checked performances using compositing effects (normal and high), i've seen great improvements in catalyst-powered graphics when the composition is on. No idea why but i think this is worth the test... (and yes i mean in 2D rendering...)

Comment

What is the oss's performance vs windows's 2d performance? I am not talking about benchmarks performance, but pure experience.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
        What is the oss's performance vs windows's 2d performance? I am not talking about benchmarks performance, but pure experience.
        Windows GUI *seems* to be more responsive.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          Windows GUI *seems* to be more responsive.

What if composite is turned off?

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
            What if composite is turned off?
            That's not really relevant in this... Windows with or Without seems more responsive than Linux with or without compositing.

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
              So what are the concerns about vista then?
              Perfomances are not good, and the interface is a bit confusing.
              I used it just for a couple of hours, but I found myself lost in the menus. XP was somehow more simpler and straitforward.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                I for one would not be happy if my work consisted solely of cleaning up other people's buggy code.
                Have them swap sides every month. Or better, have a regular competition to find more bugs in the other group's code than they can in yours.

Hey, it works for NASA.

Comment

So when, if ever, will linux have as good 2d acceleration as windows?

Is it because of EXA, kde/gnome, Xorg or another peace of the gui system?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    That's not really relevant in this... Windows with or Without seems more responsive than Linux with or without compositing.
                    Compositing on Windows was since Vista. Back when it was still called Longhorn, and when GPGPU computing was non-existant, the idea was that if the UI was to run on the GPU then Windows would become faster (Vista was to be the Mac OS X experience on future Windows PC's). Then there came 3D desktops and Vista needed to have that feature too.

So now you have shitty performance with the 2D desktop (burden on the CPU) and the only way to activate GPU accelerated desktop was by enabling compositing which was also putting more burden on system performance.

The workaround? Demand more CPU and GPU time. So on computers that run terribly slow with Vista you still get an insanely respnsive GUI with terrible compute performance.

So there is no way to compare Windows performance with Linux but to test it on Windows XP...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      The workaround? Demand more CPU and GPU time. So on computers that run terribly slow with Vista you still get an insanely respnsive GUI with terrible compute performance.

So there is no way to compare Windows performance with Linux but to test it on Windows XP...
                      Eh, isn't that mostly optimizing for desktop performance at the cost of other stuff?

Comment

Working...
                      X