No announcement yet.

wine + fglrx ==> Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

umm... ok so this is yet another env, good.
    now... what does it do exactly?

cheers

Comment

It makes sure your using the fglrx openGL implementation, not mesa. Why it should change back, I'm not sure.

Comment

Compiz sets that, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by storma View Post
          It makes sure your using the fglrx openGL implementation, not mesa. Why it should change back, I'm not sure.
          Not quite. It makes sure that wine applications aren't using indirect rendering, which would still be the fglrx opengl implementation, just with the opengl commands passed through the X server via the glx module.

And yes, compiz sets the LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT variable. However, even after starting X, that variable should only be set for applications spawned by compiz. if you start up a terminal through the normal gnome/kde menu, for example, that variable should be unset.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by adamk View Post
            Not quite. It makes sure that wine applications aren't using indirect rendering, which would still be the fglrx opengl implementation, just with the opengl commands passed through the X server via the glx module.

And yes, compiz sets the LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT variable. However, even after starting X, that variable should only be set for applications spawned by compiz. if you start up a terminal through the normal gnome/kde menu, for example, that variable should be unset.

Adam
            This is exactly it. wow. I almost always start my terminal windows with "SUPER+T" (a configured shortcut in compiz). When starting a terminal window this this shortcut (which uses compiz to start to the terminal I'm assuming), that ENV variable LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT is set to 1. However, if I start the terminal with ALT+F2 and gnome-terminal, this environment variable isn't set.

Do we know why compiz sets this? ... trying to think if it's a bug ...

Comment

Sounds like a bug in Compiz, yeah.

Comment

Well most likely in the autostart script of compiz as you have to start it really soon in order to set a var system wide.

Comment

Originally posted by fermulator View Post
                  This is exactly it. wow. I almost always start my terminal windows with "SUPER+T" (a configured shortcut in compiz). When starting a terminal window this this shortcut (which uses compiz to start to the terminal I'm assuming), that ENV variable LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT is set to 1. However, if I start the terminal with ALT+F2 and gnome-terminal, this environment variable isn't set.

Do we know why compiz sets this? ... trying to think if it's a bug ...
                  Well because fglrx doesn't support GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap in direct rendering contexts, only via AIGLX.

In other words, compiz needs to be started with indirect rendering in order to run.

Newer versions of compiz will use indirect rendering if you specify --indirect-rendering, but I can't be 100% sure that it won't set the LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT variable for compiz and any other process compiz spawns.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Well most likely in the autostart script of compiz as you have to start it really soon in order to set a var system wide.
                    Again, it's not set system wide. It's set for compiz. If compiz spawns a process, though, it will also be set for that process.

Don't launch terminals through compiz, and that variable won't be set.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by adamk View Post
                      Well because fglrx doesn't support GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap in direct rendering contexts, only via AIGLX.
                      Hmm, I was under the impression it should have since maybe around 9.3... Ah, well. That explains it then.

Comment

Working...
                      X