Radeon OpenGL 2.0 support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Because they restrict new hardware to the binary driver and don't support free drivers at all?
    Because it just works. I haven't ever had an ATI card that just worked.
    I have always liked the hardware, and for that reason I do have ATI cards again (I foolishly believed the drivers had gotten better).
    I also like the open source efforts, but the company ATI/the graphics division of AMD just ticks me off.

Comment

Originally posted by barkas View Post
      Oh fun, so the plan is to restrict new hardware to fglrx and "outsource" support for older hardware to whoever cares enough to do it?

WTG amd
      Seriously where did you get that from?
      OpenSource support is obviously not limited to old hardware, docs are released and the devs (some of which are actually employed by AMD, so so much for "outsourcing") are hard at work.

Comment

Originally posted by barkas View Post
        Oh fun, so the plan is to restrict new hardware to fglrx and "outsource" support for older hardware to whoever cares enough to do it?
        No, the plan is exactly what we said it was. Support new GPUs at launch with fglrx, start working on open source support around launch time, offer both open source and fglrx support until the GPU family moves to "reduced support" on Windows, then continue to support with the open source drivers from that point.

We have developers working on the open source drivers as well as fglrx.
        Test signature

Comment

Does amd have opengl 3.2 support for new hardware with fglrx? As far as I know nvidia has it.

Comment

Originally posted by barbarbaron View Post
            Does amd have opengl 3.2 support for new hardware with fglrx? As far as I know nvidia has it.
            And how exactly does that have anything to do with anything posted before in this thread or the topic?

Comment

For your information, the R3xx-R5xx Gallium3D driver supports OpenGL 2.1 and GLSL works, but there are some serious bugs which must be fixed first. Recently I've been working on it and have some fixes that are yet to be pushed. It's definitely not even ready for testing, but we're slowly getting there.

Marek

Comment

Please hurry, I have R740 and for me the ati-drivers are crap in 2d and "OK" in 3d. The radeon or radeonhd drivers are great in 2d but bad or no hardware acceleration in 3d.

Are people working on supporting 7xx chips? Seven days ago, they changed this in the man pages: xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati that 3d acceleration is supported...

//edit: are they also working on crossfire?
                Last edited by disi; 19 November 2009, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
                  Are people working on supporting 7xx chips? Seven days ago, they changed this in the man pages: xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati that 3d acceleration is supported...
                  Mesa support for 6xx/7xx has been in the public repos for a while now :

As of the 7.6 release it's probably at the point where distros can start enabling it by default, but the last critical fix (text box corruption under Compiz) went in too late for most of the fall distro release schedules. AFAIK the level of support is roughly the same as for 3xx-5xx drivers, although it's likely to have a *different* set of bugs.

//edit: are they also working on crossfire?
                  I'm not aware of any multi-GPU work, but it's probably premature anyways, at least until all the GPUs are on Gallium3D and have support for GL 2.0.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 19 November 2009, 09:18 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Yeah got GLSL

Code:
                    OpenGL version string: 2.0 Mesa 7.8-devel
                    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.10
                    And some of the demo's are even working! Although I have no idea if they are rendering correctly.

EDIT: Compared with the mesa software rasterizer, it renders almost the same, only the colors are different.
                    Last edited by monraaf; 19 November 2009, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Please hurry
                      * mattst88 puts face in hands

Comment

Working...
                      X