Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
    * mattst88 puts face in hands
    It is really confusing at the moment, I tested all combinations and cannot get Sacred Gold or Enemy Territory to work "playable" with the open source drivers. X + composite (xcompmgr) works in each combination (worst with fglrx/ati-drivers). glxgears for each combination:
    2.6.31 + mesa 7.6 + ati-drivers = ~1200 fps
    2.6.32 (KMS) + git mesa + git libdrm + git xf86-video-ati = ~300 fps
    2.6.31 + mesa 7.6 + xf86-video-ati-6.12.4 = ~600 fps

//edit: what I even didn't mention, with ati-drivers 9.10 the fans spin up every few seconds noticeable, with 9.9 the fans are quiet -.- with the open source drivers this doesn't happen...
    Last edited by disi; 20 November 2009, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
      It is really confusing at the moment, I tested all combinations and cannot get Sacred Gold or Enemy Territory to work "playable" with the open source drivers. X + composite (xcompmgr) works in each combination (worst with fglrx/ati-drivers). glxgears for each combination:
      2.6.31 + mesa 7.6 + ati-drivers = ~1200 fps
      2.6.32 (KMS) + git mesa + git libdrm + git xf86-video-ati = ~300 fps
      2.6.31 + mesa 7.6 + xf86-video-ati-6.12.4 = ~600 fps

//edit: what I even didn't mention, with ati-drivers 9.10 the fans spin up every few seconds noticeable, with 9.9 the fans are quiet -.- with the open source drivers this doesn't happen...
      GLXGEARS IS NOT A BENCHMARK!!!

The reason your KMS framerate was half the speed of non-KMS is that DRI2 adds an extra buffer copy, and glxgears is esentially entirely bound by that copy operation. So speed gets cut in half. That isn't representative of how an actual application would perform.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
        Yeah got GLSL

Code:
        OpenGL version string: 2.0 Mesa 7.8-devel
        OpenGL shading language version string: 1.10
        And some of the demo's are even working! Although I have no idea if they are rendering correctly.

EDIT: Compared with the mesa software rasterizer, it renders almost the same, only the colors are different.
        How did you do that?
        I just pulled from mesa this morning, and I still have OGL 1.5 and Mesa 7.7-devel.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
          How did you do that?
          I just pulled from mesa this morning, and I still have OGL 1.5 and Mesa 7.7-devel.
          Latest mesa is already at 7.8-devel, so I don't know why you are still getting 7.7-devel. As for GLSL, to get it you have to edit:

Code:
          src/mesa/drivers/dri/r600/r600_context.c
          and remove the two slashes at the beginning of this line:

Code:
          //#define R600_ENABLE_GLSL_TEST 1
          But do note it's commented out for a reason Only use for testing, it's not 'production ready' yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
            How did you do that?
            If you didn't do make distclean I've found it often helps with mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              GLXGEARS IS NOT A BENCHMARK!!!

The reason your KMS framerate was half the speed of non-KMS is that DRI2 adds an extra buffer copy, and glxgears is esentially entirely bound by that copy operation. So speed gets cut in half. That isn't representative of how an actual application would perform.
              Maybe glxgears is not a benchmark but it's usefull to test different hardware with the same distro and (open source) driver version. For example it can show the 64-bit bus bottleneck on old low end cards and some simple optimisations/regressions in the never driver/drm/mesa releases.

Btw. it's great to see that there's something that needs OpenGL 2.0 with GLSL already works with new Mesa development releases!
              Maybe in near future I can enable GLSL in Nexuiz on my both R3xx cards :-)

As somebody already pointed it out - Open Source ATI Radeon driver is a lot better in 2D and compositing environment than closed source AMD and NVidia drivers! Thank you for yours great work!

Comment

Working...
              X