Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have the drm.git kernel modules been abandoned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
    If Windows updated it's kernel as often as Linux, they'd have the same problem too. Only it'd be worse because you'd be relying on Vendors to update their drivers.
    Well, cool thing that they don't change their kernel that often then... Plus, I've had success installing XP drivers on Vista, so, there must be something working there, and as far as I can tell they've got a preety stable and secure kernel by now.

I just read the article "Ant P." told me to, and I honestly didn't find anything new in there... So, we should just ship trillions of drivers with the kernel (or it's source) in order to solve compiler problems now?

Idk what to do about the "new interface" -> "old interface" compatibility problems, but I guess that's why linux is so unsupported. If linux is all about freedom why aren't companies given the freedom to release binary blobs? (and I mean ones that would work for more than a single kernel version's lifespan)... The end user doesn't really care if things are opensource or not...

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      do you see NVidia or AMD being able or willing to get their binary blobs opened and included in the kernel?
      Uh, YES. In fact I *DO* see AMD able, willing, and ACTIVELY DOING so... Did you read the front page news today? http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NzU0Nw

Somebody else is working on the nvidia stuff since nvidia still has a stick shoved up their a$$, but if AMD can do so, then SO CAN nvidia (no more excuses here), all they need is to be willing.

Comment

Originally posted by mdias View Post
        The end user doesn't really care if things are opensource or not...
        ...no, but the GPL does...

Comment

Idk what to do about the "new interface" -> "old interface" compatibility problems, but I guess that's why linux is so unsupported. If linux is all about freedom why aren't companies given the freedom to release binary blobs? (and I mean ones that would work for more than a single kernel version's lifespan)... The end user doesn't really care if things are opensource or not...
          But that's the _point_ of Linux; that the source is available. If the end user doesn't care about the source than they are free to pick another OS.

And I certainly wouldn't say "Linux is so unsupported." I'd argue that it supports about as much hardware as a given version of windows in most cases.

It's not the lack of a stable internal kernel interface that's preventing more widespread support in certain markets, it's lack of marketshare. For example, Linux has great hardware support in the server and embedded spaces (where it has significant market share), but not as much in things like home-user desktop. Companies will support whatever interface they need to support if the potential revenue warrants it.

It's generally more of a mindset problem. Most companies are used to dealing with windows. It takes time to adapt to another way of doing things.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            And I certainly wouldn't say "Linux is so unsupported." I'd argue that it supports about as much hardware as a given version of windows in most cases.
            for mainstream consumer hardware, it's often the other way around.

Using Linux, every piece of hardware I own is supported out of the box. I just need to manually install the binary GPU drivers for 3D support - but hopefully, that'll change.

Using Windows, I also need to manually install the binary GPU drivers.
            - On XP, I also need to manually install drivers for my NIC, the SATA controller (much joy unless you still use an IDE HD) and the sound card.
            - On Vista, NIC and SATA work fine, but there is no way to use my sound card. Neither Microsoft nor Creative care to provide drivers (of course the old ones don't work, windows doesn't have a stable kernel interface either).

There are similar results for my laptop, and windows on the GPU-less server doesn't even work.

For me, Linux has better hardware support on 3 out of 3 computers, even though every part I bought was "designed for Windows".

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
              For me, Linux has better hardware support on 3 out of 3 computers, even though every part I bought was "designed for Windows".
              Well, that claim mostly only means "the vendor can only be held responsible if this doesn't work with Windows", nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by lbcoder View Post
                ...no, but the GPL does...
                I never said I'd want to GPL my code if I were to release my device's driver...

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                But that's the _point_ of Linux; that the source is available. If the end user doesn't care about the source than they are free to pick another OS.
                So because a user would like to develop an app/game without giving up the source he shouldn't target linux?

Originally posted by agd5f
                You're right, I made a poor choice of words, I meant developers don't target linux so much.

Originally posted by agd5f
                It's not the lack of a stable internal kernel interface that's preventing more widespread support in certain markets, it's lack of marketshare. For example, Linux has great hardware support in the server and embedded spaces (where it has significant market share), but not as much in things like home-user desktop. Companies will support whatever interface they need to support if the potential revenue warrants it.

It's generally more of a mindset problem. Most companies are used to dealing with windows. It takes time to adapt to another way of doing things.
                Linux webservers certainly don't need bleeding edge technology, it doesn't need constantly updated drivers and kernerls to support those tasks.

Home-user desktops also tend to be less tech-savvy and won't get through the trouble of compiling the latest DRM branch or install a new kernel.

It's true that companies will do whatever it takes to get money, however they'll also choose the easiest way to do so, and unfortunately, currently that's on Windows. I'm hoping Gallium 3D will improve gaming on linux dramatically, however I wouldn't bet on that.

[edit] on another note; who would be held responsible if my open source gfx driver wiped out the BIOS of the card? I'd love to use a stable, fast driver if it was closed source. At least I know I'd get support from that company even if I ever needed (they have their name to defend, unlike OSS devs). Sure, fglrx sucks for the normal user and as such I currently use the open source drivers that are going strong

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the oss devs don't support the users; I'm saying that they don't HAVE to.
                Last edited by mdias; 21 September 2009, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Home-user desktops also tend to be less tech-savvy and won't get through the trouble of compiling the latest DRM branch or install a new kernel.
                  They are not meant to, distributions will do that for them.

Bleeding edge drivers that haven't been fully written yet are a separate category, and not something for the less tech-savvy home-user desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    They are not meant to, distributions will do that for them.

Bleeding edge drivers that haven't been fully written yet are a separate category, and not something for the less tech-savvy home-user desktops.
                    It still looks they'll have to install a new kernel everytime an updated driver is out for their hardware, and has been said before, that kernel could have regressions in other areas.

Comment

on another note; who would be held responsible if my open source gfx driver wiped out the BIOS of the card?
                      You're right. You. Then again, BIOS isn't afaik too trivial to accidentally wipe...

Comment

Working...
                      X