Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have the drm.git kernel modules been abandoned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we'll see distro schedules and kernel schedules gradually align themselves so that non-enterprise distros will automatically pick up the most recent kernel release while it's still fresh. Right now kernel packagers need to plan around both X and kernel release schedules in order to pick up new hardware, but as hardware-specific code moves out of the X drivers and into either the kernel or Gallium3D this should become a lot easier for everyone to manage.

I'm not sure if the Gallium3D code is built as a separate library or is linked into the state tracker, but there's a good argument for having it independent of the state trackers so that only the Gallium3D library needs to be updated. This is all "next year" stuff of course; there aren't enough drivers using Gallium3D yet for this to be a practical solution for distros today.
    Last edited by bridgman; 20 September 2009, 01:42 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

The drm git would be also usefull when it would only work with the current kernel, because it is not really a good idea to compile the whole kernel over and over again after a small change when only drm would be needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        The drm git would be also usefull when it would only work with the current kernel, because it is not really a good idea to compile the whole kernel over and over again after a small change when only drm would be needed.
        Code:
        make modules SUBDIRS=drivers/gpu/
        sudo make modules_install SUBDIRS=drivers/gpu/

Comment

Well ok, but why do i need to checkout the whole kernel tree when i only need drm?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Well ok, but why do i need to checkout the whole kernel tree when i only need drm?
            Because that's the way Linux works? It's not like you could build DRM anyway without something to build it against.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              Hmm, that's the DRM with security issues? Does anyone use Mach64 anymore anyway?
              It had security issues, but these were fixed some time ago:

Comment

Sure, but the checkout was MUCH smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  Just my opinion but I think if it's been made secure, it should just be cleaned up and merged into the kernel. No use having it hanging loose and eventually dying out. :3

Comment

AFAIK, the Mach64 X driver doesn't actually need DRM to provide acceleration. I suppose that's the reason the DRM driver isn't getting merged.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      AFAIK, the Mach64 X driver doesn't actually need DRM to provide acceleration. I suppose that's the reason the DRM driver isn't getting merged.
                      Well, it's not like you would need DRM for any card (until KMS).

Comment

Working...
                      X