In-Kernel Power Management For ATI KMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoDoENT View Post
    So, which information does the driver have for calculating the GPU load?
    Look at the incoming command stream and engine idle status.

Comment

Originally posted by DoDoENT View Post
      So, which information does the driver have for calculating the GPU load?
      That is actually part of the debate I think. As of right now the best ideas I've heard include monitoring the GPU's Command Processor to determine how much load is being put on the chip.

Here is a block diagram of r600 architecture.... Just scroll about a quarter of the page down

Now I'm not entirely sure, but from looking at that diagram it seems to me that monitoring the command processor would give you a good idea of general load on the gpu, but I dont think it will be able to tell what type of load it is or what its doing.

I guess my question is simple..... Is it possible to profile GPU loads?

Comment

You can check the busy status of the various blocks, however the best way to determine the "load" is to track the amount of queued commands. The engine is either running or not.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          That is actually part of the debate I think. As of right now the best ideas I've heard include monitoring the GPU's Command Processor to determine how much load is being put on the chip.

Here is a block diagram of r600 architecture.... Just scroll about a quarter of the page down

Now I'm not entirely sure, but from looking at that diagram it seems to me that monitoring the command processor would give you a good idea of general load on the gpu, but I dont think it will be able to tell what type of load it is or what its doing.

I guess my question is simple..... Is it possible to profile GPU loads?

There is no public documention for performance counter registers. I know at least nvidia blobs offering very good GPU profiling tools for developers. (I have seen some PR video showing GPU profiling in game)

I guess AMD has similar registers to read the performance statistics. But that would require drier support like a lot else so it is long way before even documentation would be used to provide interface for application developers.

Comment

Working...
          X