Linux 2.6.32 To Get R600 KMS Along With 3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Because on the Gallium3D matrix the HDR600 (HD Radeon?) core is not scheduled to get KMS (N/N)
    Both r6xx and r7xx chips already have KMS support. KMS only works with the radeon driver.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      Because on the Gallium3D matrix the HDR600 (HD Radeon?) core is not scheduled to get KMS (N/N)
      Ahh, now I understand. R700 (RHD) in that context refers to r7xx parts running with the radeonhd driver (aka xf86-video-radeonhd), while R700 refers to the same parts running with the radeon driver (aka xf86-video-ati).

What you're seeing just indicates that there are no immediate plans to add KMS support to the radeonhd driver. Current thinking is that both radeon *and* radeonhd will eventually get replaced by a generic xorg driver running over KMS and Gallium3D.
      Test signature

Comment

Edit: Hmm, Bridgman explained this better than I - don't know how i missed his post as it looks older than mine...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          What you're seeing just indicates that there are no immediate plans to add KMS support to the radeonhd driver. Current thinking is that both radeon *and* radeonhd will eventually get replaced by a generic xorg driver running over KMS and Gallium3D.
          And as I've commented several times earlier, I consider each new modesetting feature added to KMS one step further to making radeonhd unnecessary for anything since it won't (probably, since it would be real-life effort duplication) be getting KMS. :3 True, radeon will follow suit eventually but in the meantime until Gallium3D matures, we'll probably be moving from radeonhd to radeon...

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            Better power management is next on our list once r6xx/r7xx 3D support stabilizes a bit more.
            Great. At least for me, better power management is more important than 3d.

Any estimate when there will be a new release of the driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              @LiquidAcid

Did you run

update-initramfs -u

to get the new radeon module into the initrd?
              I'm on gentoo linux and I have not init ramdisk.

Comment

Well you need it for booting from UUID. But when you don't have it then you can not recreate it of course.

Comment

UUID?

I'm just booting the kernel built from airlied's drm-next tree and once the login is available I modprobe radeon with the corresponding parameters. Is this the wrong approach?

Comment

Will Fedora 12 (Constantine) be 2.6.31 or 2.6.32? There seem to be conflicting opinions across both official sites and this forum. Thankyou for any clarification offered.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      Edit: Hmm, Bridgman explained this better than I - don't know how i missed his post as it looks older than mine...
                      Don't worry, I missed agd5f's post too
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X