Linux 2.6.32 To Get R600 KMS Along With 3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

then Fglrx can be relased under GNU.
    I don't think AMD ever plans to do that and it probably wouldn't make sense.

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    hmm I thought 3d support is possible with 2.6.31 kernel right now?
    It's possible, but needs a special DRM branch ( http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/drm/?h=r6xx-r7xx-3d ).

Would someone point when will r300-r500 KMS going to be set to default for a kernel?
    Isn't this distribution-dependent? I'm guessing that it will be far more likely when that code moves of of the 'staging' are of the kernel tree. I believe this should happen in 2.6.32 (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Comment

Originally posted by acreda View Post
      that would be sweet if .32 kernel could get out before OS 11.2

It's way to late for inclusion in OS 11.2. They already made an exception putting in 2.6.31. Beside's you can always install the Factory KOTD.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
        So does this mean that F12 will support DRI2 and OpenGL for rv730 chips without having to resort to fglrx? I have a curious laptop/docking station combo that contains both a V5250 IGP and an HD4650 PCIe card, which is currently stuck using F10. However, since F10 will probably stop being supported once F12 is released, I strongly suspect that I will finally have to upgrade the laptop to F12. And that will mean "Bye bye, fglrx; hello, Mesa!" again for the purposes of playing WoW.

Should I expect storms on the horizon...?
        If you're a Fedora user, you should never leave home without a raincoat.

The first days after a release are really hectic. The good thing is that the distro gets updated almost weekly, and you can keep track of the development of issues in redhat's bugzilla, and grab the latest builds of packages from Koji.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
          Should I expect storms on the horizon...?
          I think it's fair to say you should. It might be pretty raw on the edges still and it takes time to mature. However, it might be far enough that you can get some functionality with it. No promises though. :3

Comment

I compiled my kernel from the drm-next branch. But it fails:

Code:
            [drm:r600_ib_test] *ERROR* radeon: fence wait failed (-16).
            [drm:rv770_init] *ERROR* radeon: failled testing IB (-16).
            [drm:radeon_driver_load_kms] *ERROR* Failed to initialize radeon, disabling IOCTL
            kernel.log: http://pastebin.com/f1270bb3a

/edit: ok, there is a patch in the other thread: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?p=91227
            Last edited by Perry3D; 08 September 2009, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              rbmorse, our focus right now is getting the 6xx/7xx code base solid so that we have a good starting point for future GPUs.
              Cool

The Feature Matrix was updated last night. E.g. Textured Xv was added, and was marked DONE across the board. Great And a lot other features was marked as ALMOST.

Can you give some rough percentages where things are?

Or perhaps some time estimates? You decide the measurement units

Comment

For the Mesa features marked "Mostly", 6

For GLSL, 21

Gallium 3xx-5xx, 18

Gallium 6xx-7xx, 33

Not sure about units yet. Probably different units for each line item

Seriously, most of the remaining work is bug fixing, eg things like text corruption when typing with Compiz active. Richard is probably also going to add support for the draw_prims driver hook, which will bring the 6xx/7xx code closer to 3xx/5xx and should deal with a few of the remaining app problems.

Past that, I think the focus will shift to GLSL and Gallium3D, plus maybe some power management and new GPU support.
                Last edited by bridgman; 08 September 2009, 05:03 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Let's call it Bridgman Effort Scale Table, as in B.E.S.T? :3

Comment

For the Mesa features marked "Mostly", 6
                    6 BEST? If that also applies to OpenGL 3.0 compliance, that's something I can live with

Adding OpenGL 3.0 support to each of the GPU's sounds like an enormous task?

For GLSL, 21

Gallium 3xx-5xx, 18

Gallium 6xx-7xx, 33

Not sure about units yet. Probably different units for each line item
                    nanonyme seams to have found a relative measurement unit

Seriously, most of the remaining work is bug fixing, eg things like text corruption when typing with Compiz active. Richard is probably also going to add support for the draw_prims driver hook, which will bring the 6xx/7xx code closer to 3xx/5xx and should deal with a few of the remaining app problems.
                    Cool!

Past that, I think the focus will shift to GLSL and Gallium3D, plus maybe some power management and new GPU support.
                    GLSL would be really great, as that would bring something new to the table. But on the other hand Gallium and power management are neat features.

Comment

So is it pretty reasonable to expect "classic Mesa" R600 3D support to land in the first round of 2010 distro releases?

Comment

Working...
                      X