R600/r700 kms + 3d dri1/dri2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All!
    Yesterday I tried to run all recent KMS+DRI2+3D stuff on my HD4870. I took linux-2.6.31-git14, mesa master git, ati ddx master git, and libdrm 2.4.14. In general it was successful, except small "buts"...

The biggest issue I've observed is Xv... It is not tear-free with KMS. There are visible artifacts (some color lines) appear on the video in both, windowed and full-screen modes. Switching Mplayer from full-screen to windowed mode and back removes them, but in a second or two these lines appear again...

3D for me is quite OK (checked with ioqake3), except some artifacts in the bottom and rightmost 1-pixel lines. Probably this is already fixed in mesa.

Are those bugs of my setup or features for now?

Comment

Originally posted by Aostrich View Post
      Hi All!
      Yesterday I tried to run all recent KMS+DRI2+3D stuff on my HD4870. I took linux-2.6.31-git14, mesa master git, ati ddx master git, and libdrm 2.4.14. In general it was successful, except small "buts"...

The biggest issue I've observed is Xv... It is not tear-free with KMS. There are visible artifacts (some color lines) appear on the video in both, windowed and full-screen modes. Switching Mplayer from full-screen to windowed mode and back removes them, but in a second or two these lines appear again...

3D for me is quite OK (checked with ioqake3), except some artifacts in the bottom and rightmost 1-pixel lines. Probably this is already fixed in mesa.

Are those bugs of my setup or features for now?

Maybe this is the right bug for you

Comment

Perry3D,

Yes, this is exactly the artifacts I see.
        Do you also observe the vsync tearing?

Comment

Originally posted by Aostrich View Post
          http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...85b8d1231aae63 Sounds similar to the bug this fixed. Try updating and comment again if it persists.

Comment

Yes, today I saw a lot of commits to Mesa which could fix such off-by-one bugs.
            Will update and recheck tonight.

Anyway this bug is not as annoying as tearing in Xv...

Comment

I know... I just don't have any idea what the problem might be related to there. I don't think I'm getting artefacts with Xv myself, just a horizontal visible line (might count as tearing) in the video every now and then.

Comment

I believe the non-KMS Xv driver accesses hardware directly to avoid tearing; that approach would probably not have been used in the KMS paths since one of the goals is to let X run without direct hardware access. I think there will be a discussion at XDC next week to try and standardize an approach for handling sync-to-vblank in the kernel driver.

Disclaimer - I haven't actually confirmed this by looking at code yet.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  I believe the non-KMS Xv driver accesses hardware directly to avoid tearing; that approach would probably not have been used in the KMS paths since one of the goals is to let X run without direct hardware access. I think there will be a discussion at XDC next week to try and standardize an approach for handling sync-to-vblank in the kernel driver.
                  Well, with luck it'd be using the same vsync method as OpenGL in KMS and would Just Work with Alex's upcoming interrupt code. :3 (I'd suspect we won't be that lucky but it's among the main reasons why I don't think I'm going to even search the applicable code section before the interrupts code is done - right next to the fact that vsync probably would be way out of my league )

Comment

Hi,

how about some power management with kms?, my pc wyth radeon hd4870 hangs afther one hour or two, and cooler from card is very very hot!!

Comment

The anti-tearing Xv stuff for r6xx/r7xx doesn't work with KMS right now. It needs support in the drm command checker similar to what we did for r1xx-r5xx.

Comment

Working...
                      X