R600/r700 kms + 3d dri1/dri2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by airlied View Post

Found the problem. I was still using libdrm from ag5f's repository.

X starts now, but doesn't seem to support dual screen. My right screeen ended up on the left, and my right screen ended up being blank. This is probably because kms sets the framebuffer on my lower res monitor on the left. I'll try it out tomorrow with one screen.

Comment

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

I'll be moving from Fedora 11 to 12 in a couple of months, - would it be enough to yum upgrade the kernel to 2.6.32 to have working opensource ATi drivers for the r6/7xx series?

Comment

Originally posted by Maarte View Post
        I'll be moving from Fedora 11 to 12 in a couple of months, - would it be enough to yum upgrade the kernel to 2.6.32 to have working opensource ATi drivers for the r6/7xx series?

Comment

Thanks, that's fantastic news

Comment

At first sorry for my not so good English

I've just installed 2.6.31-rc9 kernel from drm-next branch (DRI2, KMS), master Mesa, master ATI DDX and master libdrm (all, except kernel from x11 Gentoo Portage overlay).

First thoughts: It is working great. KDE4's Kwin with opengl compositing enabled is working very fast at 1920x1200 on radeon 4850. All fancy effects like woobly windows, cower flow windows switching or desktop cube are working fast. There are few minor screen corruptions, but they are definitely small, and not affect usability of the desktop. Switching between console and xorg (vt7) works very fast and stable.

Some performance info (Radeon 4850, Core2Quad @ 3200MHz, Gentoo AMD64):
            - glxgears under KDE, compositing disabled: ~3300fps
            - glxgears under KDE, compositing enabled: ~2200fps
            - glxgears under KDE, moving woobly-enabled glxgears window: ~1900fps

I want to thank all developers for their amazing work. This driver in KDE4 is already better and faster than fglrx crap!
            Last edited by rampage7; 20 September 2009, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rampage7 View Post
              I've just installed 2.6.31-rc9 kernel from drm-next branch (DRI2, KMS), master Mesa, master ATI DDX and master libdrm (all, except kernel from x11 Gentoo Portage overlay).
              Might be a better idea to pull drm-next over 2.6.31, then you get all the fixes for other components in the kernel for the final version.

Comment

Will dual monitor setups work with KMS by the time .32 is finished?
                Currently, when using KMS I'm restricted to one screen.

Also, I'm still slightly getting text corruption in Kwin. It really only happens if I backspace what I type. And for some reason b's aren't working.

Edit: Just to clarify on the dual monitor bit. Xrandr sees both screens, and within the KDE4 Settings I can switch between screens. By default it uses my smaller screen, but I can switch it to use my larger screen, but I can't use both at the same time.

It sees that both are there, but if I set the small screen to 1280x1024 while the other is at 1680x1050, I notice the light on the monitor goes from orange to green, but it still only displays black. And either way I can't move my mouse to the other screen.
                Last edited by pvtcupcakes; 21 September 2009, 09:17 PM.

Comment

multi-head should work fine with kms. If it doesn't, file a bug
                  (https://bugs.freedesktop.org) and attach your xorg log and dmesg.

Comment

Originally posted by rampage7 View Post
                    Some performance info (Radeon 4850, Core2Quad @ 3200MHz, Gentoo AMD64)
                    Since glxgears isn't using multithreading, you're limited to the speed of a single core though. In a hypothetical world where it would, you'd probably get those amounts multiplied by two or more. (not that it makes any sense to do so)

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      multi-head should work fine with kms. If it doesn't, file a bug
                      (https://bugs.freedesktop.org) and attach your xorg log and dmesg.
                      Done.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24095

Comment

Working...
                      X