R600/r700 kms + 3d dri1/dri2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tormod View Post
    No, do not rename or delete the files manually. You should uninstall the built module package using apt-get purge, so that everything is restored to how it was before. This is one advantage of using deb packages because they keep track of which files have been installed and which have been diverted.
    I meant just that file that I copied ...
    Never mind, I've removed all that with "Complete removal" inside Synaptic. Now I'm on 2.6.32-rc1 and I hope that is just history. Any hints or tweaks with that kernel? It looks promising ...

Comment

kernel for Ubuntu

Now that there is a 2.6.32-rc1 kernel package in the Mainline PPA, use that instead of drm-modules-source.

Comment

Now that there is a 2.6.32-rc1 kernel package in the Mainline PPA, use that instead of drm-modules-source.
        The first glimpse

1. without radeon.modeset=1 in boot line
        Code:
        ~$ dmesg |grep radeon
        [   23.223050] [drm] radeon defaulting to userspace modesetting.
        [   23.223830] [drm] Initialized radeon 1.31.0 20080528 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0
        [   23.539384] platform r600_cp.0: firmware: requesting radeon/RV635_pfp.bin
        [   23.673745] platform r600_cp.0: firmware: requesting radeon/RV635_me.bin
        2. with radeon.modeset=1 in boot line (some serious problems during boot with display can occur)

Code:
        ~$ dmesg|grep radeon
        [    0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-999-generic root=UUID=...(erased) ro radeon.modeset=1
        [    0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-999-generic root=UUID=...(erased) ro radeon.modeset=1
        [    0.000000] Unknown boot option `radeon.modeset=1': ignoring
        [   23.658291] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
        [   23.658471] radeon 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
        [   23.661268] [drm] radeon: Initializing kernel modesetting.
        [   23.663186] [drm] radeon: 256M of VRAM memory ready
        [   23.663188] [drm] radeon: 512M of GTT memory ready.
        [   23.663335] platform radeon_cp.0: firmware: requesting radeon/RV635_pfp.bin
        [   23.756642] platform radeon_cp.0: firmware: requesting radeon/RV635_me.bin
        [   23.805087] [drm] radeon: ib pool ready.
        [   23.805149] [drm] radeon: kernel modesetting successfully initialized.
        [   23.988365] fb0: radeondrmfb frame buffer device
        [   23.988373] [drm] Initialized radeon 2.0.0 20080528 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0
        I was telling my ATI card, endure and it shall pass, and it did. Video in fullscreen and terminal window atop of it ... Good picture and place to work ... Goodbye ATI.AMD drivers ... Fglrx no more!
        Last edited by zika; 02 October 2009, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I installed the new kernel with the latest xorge-edgers, and everything works like a charm, with one visible problem only though: I have minor corruption when entering text in gnome-terminal or gvim.

I also tried WoW on wine, and it works, but the frame rate is crazy slow, I couldn't get past the login screen. However I could see no corruption or anything, which by itself is big.

Other than that everything works perfectly, compiz, 720p on totem etc.

Comment

Without radeon.modeset=1 on boot-line everything works great but with user-modesetting. If I put radeon.modeset=1 on boot line I cannot get anymore to boot because I get great corruption on login screen. It happened suddenly, I did not change anything, and as You can see from my previous post it work the first time I tried, there was corruption but somehow I got trough it and got the dmesg excerpt I wrote above. But the progress is great. There might be a slight difference between 2.6.32-rc and 2.6.32.999 (I'm using now and I have removed 2.6.32-rc1 so I can not try that again) that makes that problem more visible. Days ahead will clear that I'm sure.

Comment

I installed the new kernel with the latest xorg-edgers and nothing worked, so i went back to my old kernel.
              Seems that KMS doesn't work, because even the boot-terminal hasn't the right resolution. When xserver starts i can hear that gdm loaded, but i see nothing on the screen...

Edit: I'm using an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600.
              Last edited by Boerkel; 01 October 2009, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boerkel View Post
                I installed the new kernel with the latest xorg-edgers and nothing worked, so i went back to my old kernel.
                Seems that KMS doesn't work, because even the boot-terminal hasn't the right resolution. When xserver starts i can hear that gdm loaded, but i see nothing on the screen...
                ditto but just when I add radeon.modeset=1. try adding radeon.modeset=0. Somehow it regresses to user mode-setting in my case, unless I force it to use KMS.

Comment

Originally posted by zika View Post
                  ditto but just when I add radeon.modeset=1. try adding radeon.modeset=0. Somehow it regresses to user mode-setting in my case, unless I force it to use KMS.
                  It is not "regressing". It is just built with radeon KMS disabled by default, so you need to enable it with "radeon.modeset=1". At one point we had a kernel especially built for testing KMS so it had KMS enabled by default.

On a general note, it would be nice if everybody commenting about success and failure could at least mention what chipset/model they are using.

Comment

It is not "regressing". It is just built with radeon KMS disabled by default, so you need to enable it with "radeon.modeset=1". At one point we had a kernel especially built for testing KMS so it had KMS enabled by default.

On a general note, it would be nice if everybody commenting about success and failure could at least mention what chipset/model they are using.
                    I'm sorry, it was listed in my previous posts in excerpts from log, ASUS 3650 a.k.a. ATI HD 3650 512M, RV 635, I guess ...
                    The only reason I'm writing all about my experience with this is to give You feefback You might need. Just tell me when to shut up ...

Comment

• Originally posted by zika View Post
                      I'm sorry, it was listed in my previous posts in excerpts from log, ASUS 3650 a.k.a. ATI HD 3650 512M, RV 635, I guess ...
                      The only reason I'm writing all about my experience with this is to give You feefback You might need. Just tell me when to shut up ...
                      No reason to be sorry, I wanted to address everybody in general but didn't want to make a separate post and failed to express this better.

Comment

Working...
                      X