• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    Hi Fran,

could you please post your ebuild ?

I can't wait to use 2.6.31-rc9-zen0 with BFS and this driver

many thanks in advance

The ebuild fetches a pre-made tarball. If you don't trust me, you can generate that tarball yourself by following Kano's instructions. Tar the result with no top-level directory.

Comment

9.8 really is a good release, my only real issue thus far is Kwin crashes on start up with kernel 2.30, no problem with kernel 2.6.26. This is rather annoying since I'd like to use a newer kernel.

I also get the washed out colors in Xv (although no flickering) and if I turn on Kwin's desktop effects resizing windows becomes painful and can grab up to 100% of one of my CPUs, but this is manageable (OpenGL video + I don't like Kwin's effects anyway).

The only other annoyances are in WINE, and likely not ATI's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        http://foss.math.aegean.gr/~realnc/f....10_rc1.ebuild

The ebuild fetches a pre-made tarball. If you don't trust me, you can generate that tarball yourself by following Kano's instructions. Tar the result with no top-level directory.
        thanks for sharing the ebuild and tarball !

edit:

unfortunately for me it failed at doing the following:

rm: cannot remove `/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-9.10_rc1/work/arch/x86_64/usr/X11R6/bin/fgl_glxgears': No such file or directory
        rm: cannot remove `/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-9.10_rc1/work/arch/x86_64/usr/X11R6/bin/fglrx_xgamma': No such file or directory
        rm: cannot remove `/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-9.10_rc1/work/arch/x86_64/usr/X11R6/lib64/libfglrx_gamma*': No such file or directory
        * ERROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-9.10_rc1 failed.
        * Call stack:
        * ebuild.sh, line 49: Called src_prepare
        * environment, line 3692: Called die
        * The specific snippet of code:
        * rm "${ARCH_DIR}"/usr/X11R6/bin/{fgl_glxgears,fglrx_xgamma} "${ARCH_DIR}"/usr/X11R6/${PKG_LIBDIR}/libfglrx_gamma* || die "bin rm failed";
        * The die message:
        * bin rm failed
        seems like there's too much in the ebuild and not enough in the tarball

*investigating*
        Last edited by kernelOfTruth; 07 September 2009, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I couldn't find a bugzilla ticket for the "washed out colours". I didn't go through every single ticket with "Xv" but I did go through all the ones with likely sounding descriptions (and more). Can someone file a ticket with an example, preferably with a link to the (legal) video file ?
          [snip]

Hi John - for the benefit of everyone reading this thread:

Is the authoritative/preferred place to file FGLRX bug reports at https://bugs.freedesktop.org with product 'xorg' and component 'Driver/fglrx', or at http://ati.cchtml.com ?

Clearly, if we have a concerted effort to file constructive and technically accurate bug reports, particularly against the current release, everyone wins. Would this help?

Thanks,
          Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            The link didn't seem to help much - it mostly pointed to a bug report on Intel hardware. As you said, the required extensions seem to be there and there doesn't seem to be any indication of the extensions not working - is there any other discussion that points to an specific problem with the OpenGL driver ?
            unfortunately not

so if no one else posts / gives feedback about this issue it seems to be a distribution-specific problem (gentoo, ~amd64) or ubuntu fixed it already

@all:

can someone with ubuntu and kde4 running please test the invert plugin whether it works for you (I couldn't get the driver to install with portage yet) ?

thanks bridgman !

Comment

thanks for sharing the ebuild and tarball !

edit:

unfortunately for me it failed at doing the following:

seems like there's too much in the ebuild and not enough in the tarball

*investigating*
              Weird. It works just fine here :P Did you use your own tarball? If yes, are you sure you created it correctly? :P

Comment

Hi Fran,

could you please post your ebuild ?
                Mine is more or less the same as RealNC's. This is the patch for the 9.8 ebuild.
                Code:
                --- ati-drivers-9.8.ebuild	2009-09-04 17:09:49.000000000 +0200
                +++ ati-drivers-9.10.ebuild	2009-09-05 18:15:48.973174197 +0200
                @@ -9,7 +9,7 @@
                 DESCRIPTION="Ati precompiled drivers for r600 (HD Series) and newer chipsets"
                 HOMEPAGE="http://www.ati.com"
                 ATI_URL="https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/"
                -SRC_URI="${ATI_URL}/ati-driver-installer-${PV/./-}-x86.x86_64.run"
                +SRC_URI="${ATI_URL}/ati-driver-installer-${PV/./-}-x86.x86_64.tar.bz2"
                 IUSE="debug +modules multilib"

LICENSE="AMD GPL-2 QPL-1.0 as-is"
                @@ -93,12 +93,6 @@
                 		die "CONFIG_PREEMT_RCU enabled"
                 	fi

-	# kernel hook checking up latest allowed version
                -	if kernel_is ge 2 6 31; then
                -		eerror "Kernels newer then 2.6.30 are not supported by this driver"
                -		die "Downgrade your kernel"
                -	fi
                -
                 	if ! linux_chkconfig_present MTRR; then
                 		ewarn "You don't have MTRR support enabled in the kernel."
                 		ewarn "Direct rendering will not work."
                @@ -205,12 +199,10 @@
                 	# Switching to a standard way to extract the files since otherwise no signature file
                 	# would be created
                 	local src="${DISTDIR}/${A}"
                -	sh "${src}" --extract "${S}"  2&>1 /dev/null
                +	tar xf "${src}" -C "${S}"
                 }

src_prepare() {
                -	epatch "${FILESDIR}"/ati-drivers-xen.patch
                -
                 	# All kernel options for prepare are ment to be in here
                 	if use modules; then
                 		# version patches
                You must modify the original tar.gz, though. Uncompress it, mkdir common, move {etc,lib,opt,usr} to common, compress it again, rename it to match the SRC_URI and move it to distfiles. You don't need to add anything from the official installer. Remember to ebuild xxxx digest.
                Last edited by Fran; 07 September 2009, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel.blueman View Post
                  [snip]

Hi John - for the benefit of everyone reading this thread:

Is the authoritative/preferred place to file FGLRX bug reports at https://bugs.freedesktop.org with product 'xorg' and component 'Driver/fglrx', or at http://ati.cchtml.com ?

Clearly, if we have a concerted effort to file constructive and technically accurate bug reports, particularly against the current release, everyone wins. Would this help?

Thanks,
                  Daniel
                  There are a few formal places for support.

1) If you purchased your system with Linux from your OEM (HP,Dell, Lenovo, etc), you go through them.
                  2) If you acquired the driver through a distribution, start with their bugtracking system (they know the patches and changes they have made, AMD doesn't).
                  3) If you acquired the driver through amd.com, then http://www.amd.com/us/LinuxCrewSurvey is the formal location for feedback.

AMD does have "ears" in most of the above locations and is generally aware of what is going on. Unfortunately, 1:1 interaction on a formal bug report is not the way AMD operates.

Now for unofficial reports you obviously have forums and so on. Also a number of years ago I asked the forum members to conentrate bug reports on a bugzilla vs a set of "known issues" forums. The result was http://ati.cchtml.com/ and it is my preferred "community" bug aggregation resource. Again, we see all the bug activity on there, if you are lucky and the issue you are posting is relevant to our current focus, AMD employees also post there too.

Bear in mind that in a very complex piece of software, there will always be many bugs. The prioritization and resolution of those bugs is always a fight against new hardware, new features and formal customer engagement. What seems like a critical to bug to one, may be
                  a low priority issue to another.

Regards,

Matthew

Comment

I am impressed with this release. Unlike in 9.8, I can finally start X without freezing. And when it does freeze in rare occassions, it wouldn't bring the kernel down with it. I can finally play HD video on this computer. Great job.

Btw, the ebuild compile fine but doesn't install. In the end, I have to copy the files manually. I am using Gentoo on Pentium-4 x86 with 1GB RAM, Radeon HD4650 AGP.

Comment

Hi Yall & Kano,

thanks Kano, the script got the new driver installed here! :-)

I needed to add a couple of dashes in front of "install", like so...

--install

and the rest was pure geek beauty. (4870 sold to a Rich friend, who is waiting until I upgrage).

Thanks also to mtippett and bridgman, for the patient dialouge from ATI/AMD.

*BFN*

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X