mtrr pat kernel choice for radeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtrr pat kernel choice for radeon

Due to a potential security problem with mmap, newer kernels are recommended. So I downloaded 2.6.27.31 and installed.

This time around I enabled PAT, along with MTRR but not MTRR sanitizer.

DRI acceleration does not work and I get the following dmesg message.
    Code:
    mtrr: no MTRR for d0000000,10000000 found
    Recompiling now with PAT option removed.

In mean time, does anyone know which of these three options are required or must not be enabled? Does the sanitizer work with oss radeon?

Or, is problem with newer kernels?
    Last edited by forum1793; 23 August 2009, 08:51 AM.

With PAT disabled the mtrr message in dmesg is gone but acceleration still not working. Just noticed two changes to mesa git. Trying that now.

Comment

OK, now using the kernel 2.6.27.31, compiled with MTRR and without PAT and without MTRR sanitizer. With most recent git changes acceleration is working again (to the extent it worked).

I would still be interested in others views on PAT and MTRR sanitizer.

Comment

Why don't you try kernel 2.6.30 and if it solves the problems.

Comment

Unless something has changed I didn't think you could compile and use the drm/mesa/ati/radeonhd git drivers with higher than 2.6.28.x. Has that changed?

Even if one can use 2.6.30, you would still need to choose whether or not to use PAT or the MTRR sanitizer.

Comment

Originally posted by forum1793 View Post
            Unless something has changed I didn't think you could compile and use the drm/mesa/ati/radeonhd git drivers with higher than 2.6.28.x. Has that changed?
            2D/Xv has been included upstream since 2.6.30. For 3D you need my r6xx-r7xx-3d drm branch which should work with newer kernels thanks to patches from nanonyme.

Comment

If I'm using the newer kernel, I'm going to need to compile it. Should I enable PAT and/or MTRR sanitizer?

Comment

Working...
              X