No announcement yet.

r6xx 3D games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IIRC the programs from progs/glsl that called the noise function used to lockup the GPU, at least they don't do that anymore now . From progs/glsl only the deriv program (which uses dFdy) still locks up the GPU here.

I don't know how often the dFdx/dFdy functions are used, but I modified the mesa shader compiler to output the shader source to stdout and ran Half-Life 2 with -dxlevel 80, and the dFdx/dFdy functions didn't show up.

Bug fixing would probably be a good idea. From progs/glsl I got 16 to render exactly like the mesa software renderer, 10 had some sort of rendering error, and one locked-up the GPU

Comment

• I just installed and tested the current open 3D drivers.

Of the games I usually played I can confirm that Chromium, GLTron, Kobo Deluxe and maybe Exult (don't really know if it uses OpenGL) are running perfectly.

I could not test Oolite and Pinball because I haven't found out yet how to start them in windowed mode.

Fullscreen is the only real problem I have now: Whenever an OpenGL application starts in fullscreen, the screen becomes black and the monitor turns off. I can still switch consoles (no KMS) and end Xorg. Killing the OpenGL app alone will not help, although it seems to continue running properly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dard View Post
        I just installed and tested the current open 3D drivers.

Of the games I usually played I can confirm that Chromium, GLTron, Kobo Deluxe and maybe Exult (don't really know if it uses OpenGL) are running perfectly.

I could not test Oolite and Pinball because I haven't found out yet how to start them in windowed mode.

Fullscreen is the only real problem I have now: Whenever an OpenGL application starts in fullscreen, the screen becomes black and the monitor turns off. I can still switch consoles (no KMS) and end Xorg. Killing the OpenGL app alone will not help, although it seems to continue running properly.
        I have some problems with KMS and resolution change. Did you try to switch the resolution in the games to your native resolution?

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry3D View Post
          I have some problems with KMS and resolution change. Did you try to switch the resolution in the games to your native resolution?
          I don't have KMS and I can't switch any resolution in those games since I see nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dard View Post
            I don't have KMS and I can't switch any resolution in those games since I see nothing.
            You should give KMS a try then, see if it fixes your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by monraaf View Post
              You should give KMS a try then, see if it fixes your problem.
              I tried but the kernel wouldn't find the firmware files during boot. I read somewhere that I would have to put them into an initrd, but I don't create any initrd. Considering that I don't feel the need for KMS (what does it anyway, besides speeding up changes to console and back?) I felt it wasn't worth the bother for now.
              Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Comment

• I think DRI2 depends on KMS. Having DRI2 functionality is well worth the performance drop from KMS even on my slow 200M. I would use it on my main HD4850, but I haven't figured out how to do it (remember reading something about digital monitors causing problems with KMS).
                Last edited by Melcar; 13 December 2009, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• Hopefully soon we get dynamic power management with kms.

Right now one of the benefits of using kms/dri2 is that if you are using the fast user switch applet, or whatever it's called today, you get full acceleration on the active X Server. Without kms/dri2 you only get acceleration on the first X server, the other one gets none, not even Xv and EXA on R600.

Comment

• Some OpenGL extensions depend upon KMS

Originally posted by Dard View Post
                    Considering that I don't feel the need for KMS (what does it anyway, besides speeding up changes to console and back?) I felt it wasn't worth the bother for now.
                    GL_EXT_framebuffer_object is one, for example. And several OpenGL programs became a lot slower without KMS as a result. Looking forwards, I think you're unlikely to get better than OpenGL 1.5 without KMS.

Comment

• I got UT2004 working at really low settings (without KMS). It's 2fps ingame, but at least it does work!

Right now render targets need turning off because they cause it to crash. The s3tc textures using libtxc_dxtn don't seem to work either (all the textures are corrupted garbage when it's in use).

I just tried using KMS and it started up, but when I quit it X locked up in a weird way - it seemed to be fine, but then the keyboard stopped responding intermittently, and finally the whole server locked up (I could switch VTs fine and see the X cursor appear, but the rest of the X VT wouldn't redraw).

Comment

Working...
                      X